Goose Island 312 Clone Discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think the acid malt makes a noticeable addition to the beer and does it help towards the 312?

I've 10 pounds of torrified and I'm thinking about doing 2.5G batches to see how close I can get to 312, just for grins.

I could not find acid malt. I bought some 5.2 Buffer and used that to ensure my pH was in check. It seemed to work fine.

This beer was too wheaty to be a clone of 312. I would halve the wheat malt and replace it with 2-row. The hops were very good and the mash produced the attenuation and mouthfeel I was looking for.

If you give it another shot, please post here as I am interested to continue this project.

i'm going to try something like this, bump an old thread. I'm going to try adding 6 row to the bill and get a slightly heavier taste. I didn't think the 312 was quite as crisp/pale as you guys had brewed it, although it does seem like a lighter bill. I'm going to add a small amount of six row and brew the recipe with the acidic malt and see what i can come up with. Thanks for doing all this though, the advice i've read so far in this thread is interesting and will hopefully help me to find something close to 312, or atleast as good if not similar.

The 6-row isn't a bad idea and is definitely worth a shot. If you are going for an actual 312 flavor you need to substantially reduce the wheat. To thin out the mouthfeel and wheat base a bit. The hops were perfect and I would not change that at all.

Good luck and please post back here when you have some results! :mug:

It would also be fun if everyone posted their labels in here if you are into that sort of thing....

Here was mine:

East_Side_Wheat.png

I'll play the label game. All mine are fairly boring, IBU/ABV malts and the beer name change.

Everything else stays the same. *yawn*

989_wheat_small.jpg

Follow up. I did 60/40 MO and wheat malt, mash 152, bittered with Willamette and flame out of 1/2oz Cascade and 1/2oz Willamette. Fermented with US-05

It's not 312 but it's getting there.

I'll need to get another sack of plain 2-row and go 70/25/5 2row/wheat malt/flaked with a touch of a flour addition to keep it hazy.

I think I'll do the hops to 18 IBU next time and do both Cascade and Willamette at bittering.

i was hoping to just SLIGHTLY reduce the wheat, also in hopes that the addition of some more 2/6 row would drop the wheat ratio and the higher finishing gravity would mask some of the wheat flavor. I still would like to have a decent wheat mouthfeel and nutty flavor so i don't want to drop it clear off the chart. My laptop battery died so i don't have my brew program to print off a fancy recipe chart, but i was planning

3lb american 2 row
2lb 6 row
1.75 wheat malt
1.25 torrified wheat
4oz acidic malt

same hop schedual, just halved

this would be for a 5.5 gal

I'm thinkin after the efficiency is taken out i'll have about a 1.040-.045 beer, maybe finish at around 1.010 which should keep me around the 4% abv i'm shooting for. I already have a good wyeast american ale yeast goin on something that should be finished tomorrow, I might just let it sit on the beer till friday when i can brew this wheat and pitch it onto that cake

i will. Is there anything you think could be adjusted to get closer to 312. I know you said it had a little bit too much wheat to the profile and you didn't use any acid malt, how do you feel about the sourness and haze of the beer? Were they close or way off? I'm trying to brew this for a buddy who had got into brewing, did a heifen weizen kit and got disheartened with the whole process and quit. He's really into this 312 which is a nice change from his redstripe only phase, and i'm trying to show him that home brewing can still result in some decent stuff. I've tried some basic wheats before, but never tried to clone anything

this is what i ended up going with, it's in a 145 dough in now, ready for 155 mash for an hour

219 wheat
American Wheat or Rye Beer

Type: All Grain
Date: 5/19/2009

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: HRH
Boil Size: 7.39 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 40 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Rubber Keg MLT (15 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1 lbs 8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 13.04 %
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 26.09 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 21.74 %
2 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.57 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 13.04 %
12.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 6.52 %
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (40 min) Hops 24.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.000 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.38 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.0 %
Bitterness: 26.7 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 3.7 SRM Color:
Color

Created with BeerSmith

PS. I'm going to use decoction for the 145/155 step.. fwiw

I think that looks good! Sorry I missed your post from May 4th. I don't know how it slipped by...

Anyway, I would lower the hopping a bit to bring it in range. 26 IBUs is significantly more than 312 has. I thought the hops were the best part of my recipe. But, if you are feeling good about it, brew it up and report back.

I am excited to here how yours turns out. I will be brewing mine in the beginning of June, so hopefully I can get some of your feedback.

well......... changed it a bit, not intentionally

Brewed it today, thought i had 3oz of cascade, turns out i had 3/4oz. I forgot i used it on this ipa i was making and then 1/4 on a goofy 1 gallon batch. Anyways.. had to make due with the bits of this and that which i had. Went for a smoother taste and bigger aroma than taste. Ibu's should be about 22?

I threw the 40 mins in at the hot break, before the boil. And started counting on the clock at that point, so it was kind of a first wort hop with a 30 min boil realistically. Just trying out different methods.

Hop schedual ended up...

.75oz Cascade @ 40min
.50oz Fuggles @ 40min
.5 oz Palisade @ 10min

Didn't hit the gravity i was hoping for either. Got .038 :-( but i didn't boil it as much because i was running out of gas and had to get out of the house. got about 6.25 gallons... So it's not all my efficiency, but i was only at like 65% or so? Which sucks hard, but i think i'm loosing out with this new MLT and i'm going to have to redisign the bottom or just suck it up and buy a false bottom.... we'll have to see

On a lighter note, first time using rice hulls and i don't think i'll ever brew without them again. Man it made things go a LOT smoother.

Pitched a bottle of yeast i had pulled off an ale a few weeks ago. It's a wyeast ale yeast, not sure what number cause it was off a beer my buddie pitched the yeast on.

Hope it tastes good, it smells like good beer, and it looks light with a big white head when i was shaking it.

Here is my newest attempt. I will be brewing this sometime on early June.

Recipe: 262 Suburban Wheat (II)
Brewer: Justin S. Talbot
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.14 gal
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 4.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
3.2 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1.18 %
9 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 56.05 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 20.65 %
2 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 11.80 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.32 %

1.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
1.75 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (30 min) Hops 10.2 IBU
0.75 oz Cascade [5.90 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
0.75 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (1 min) Hops 0.2 IBU

2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.20 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010)

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 16.95 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min dough in Add 21.33 qt H2O at 104.0 F 99.0 F
20 min Protein Rest Heat to 122.0 F over 5 min 122.0 F
50 min Sacc Rest Heat to 150.0 F over 10 min 150.0 F
5 min Mash out Heat to 170.0 F over 5 min 170.0 F

I just came across this thread as I was looking for a 312 clone and was wondering if there was update on how the latest recipe turned out?

I ended up brewing a different beer. This is still on my to-brew list. Next up for me is a best bitter though, then probably an IPA followed by a Lager of some sort. It will probably be spring/summer before I brew this.

I'll be brewing a batch with a 312-loving brew bud of mine in March. According to Goose Island's website, the grain bill consists only of 2-row and torrified wheat.

Here's what I've got planned:

6 Gallon Batch

6.50 lb 2-row
3.50 lb Torrified Wheat
.90 oz Liberty (30 min)
.75 oz Cascade (30 min)
.50 oz Liberty (1 min)
.50 oz Cascade (1 min)
US-05 Yeast

Actual hops amounts will reflect true AA content. The goal is 20 IBU and 4.2% ABV. I'll keep everyone posted as to the results.

That is 35% torrified... might be a bit high. I would like to hear when it is done! I m also interested in how the yeast works out for you.

:mug:

What's the recommended limit for torrified wheat as a percentage of the grain bill? A quick search yielded no info, but I'm going to keep looking....

The only thing to be aware of is that torrified and flaked wheat (basically the same thing) has a toasted flavor when used in high amounts. I think at 35% you may run into that. But maybe not. I am definitely interested to hear about it.

Well, the goal is not only to produce a great beer, but to closely mimic 312. I've never used torrified before, only malted wheat. I'm just thinking that 312 is a wheat beer, the bill calls for 2-row and torrified, and a "normal" wheat beer would call for at least a couple pounds of wheat, as much as 60%.

But if torrified behaves/tastes different than normal malted wheat, then I definitely want to take that into account.

I think I may need a sixer of 312 to stimulate the brain cells.

Sounds like a great beer, glad I found the thread. I'm just starting to make the jump from small extract batches to increase complexity, but not quite to all grain yet, just wondering if there are any good extract/partial mash substitutions that will yield similar results. Any advice?

I think one of the keys to a good 312 clone is the carbonation level. IMO, that is one fizzy, carbonated beer.

And much less actual wheat than we've been brewing "clones" with. I'd imagine somewhere between Oberon and Bud Lite Wheat would be where 312 would land.

Waking up a 2 month old thread, yay! I had some leftover Wyeast 3864 Belg Canadian (a la Unibroue), and thought maybe a 312 type beer might work. I took some ideas from this thread and ended up with:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 4.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
5.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 55.25 %
2.00 lb Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 22.10 %
1.25 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 13.81 %
0.80 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.84 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (30 min)Hops 8.7 IBU
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 12.0 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Belgium Canadian Ale (Wyeast Labs #3864) Yeast-Ale

We'll see how this one comes out! The yeast may give a little more esters than the actual 312.

The beer came out ok. The yeast stain most def gave the beer a much more complex taste.However I feel the charm of 312 is the summer day easy drinking nature it has. I will drink it and like it because it is beer-but this is not on my make again list.

The beer came out ok. The yeast stain most def gave the beer a much more complex taste.However I feel the charm of 312 is the summer day easy drinking nature it has. I will drink it and like it because it is beer-but this is not on my make again list.

which version/recipe did u use?

I was always under the impression that 312 was an English Wheat. I pick up the Cascade aroma and can picture this beer fermented with an English Yeast. WYeast 1968 possibly.

312 would be considered an English Style Summer Ale. It uses about 6-7% Torrified Wheat, the rest is 2-row. Yeast is the same Ale yeast used in the IPA and Honkers.

I just brewed the following, 3 gallon batch:

2-Row 4.25 lbs
Torrified Wheat 1.00 lbs
Flaked Oats 0.50 lbs

5.0 AA Cascade, .5 oz, 60 min
5.0 AA Cascade, .2 oz, 10 min
(Shooting for 17.5 IBU's)

Wyeast American Ale 2 (washed from a previous batch of wheat beer)

I used a little oats because I like a creamy feel to my beer, and I sense a little creaminess in the 312, so I figured I would give it a shot.

This is my second try at a 312 clone, and the first one didn't taste quite right because I was high in the IBU's and I used too much wheat.

Brewed on 12/11 and fermenting like a banchy after only 12 hours with this washed yeast, and no starter!

I have talked my brother into getting into brewing so we will start with an extract for his first. Since 312 is the first beer he likes that is not High Life, I thought we would start with a clone of that.

I tried to make an extract recipe based on the updated all grain recipe from page 1. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Style: American Wheat
Type: Extract w/ grain
Size: 5 gal
Color: 3 HCU
Bitterness: 17 IBU
OG: 1.053
FG: 1.005
Grain: 1.5 lbs Wheat malt (150d for 30 min)
Boil: 6lb Wheat DME, .5lb corn sugar
Hops: .75 Cascade @ 60m, .5 Cascade @ 2m
Yeast: Wyeast 1056 American Ale

It says on Goose Island's website, that they don't use Wheat Malt at all... they use Torrified Wheat. It has also been said in this post by many that the ratio of 2-Row to Torrified Wheat is around 70/30 or 80/20.

Therefore this recipe looks like it needs a lot of tweaking.

I wonder if you could just use pale malt extract and then steep torrified wheat?

Lastly, in my tries I have not used Liberty hops, but it says on the Goose Island website that they use Liberty and Cascade... although I don't know in what ratio or which is used for what times of the boil.

Back