Good substitute for bravo hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crookedibrews

Reaction score
I'm brewing up a rye IPA and my original recipe called for bravo hops for bittering. My lhbs doesn't have any so I need something as close as possible. My hop knowledge isn't as up to par as some of the hbt veterans so any help would be appreciated.:mug:

Here is my recipe
8# lme
Mini mash
2# rye
.25#caramel 60l
.25#chocolate rye
1oz bravo. 60min
1oz chinook 15min
.5oz chinook 0min
.5oz chinook 5 days dry hop
1oz citra 5 days dry hop

5.5 gallon batch
Og 1.063
Fg 1.016
59 ibu
6.2%abv

What you use for the bittering charge is not too critical. You can use pretty much anything that is not going to stand out flavor wise (example not to use would be Sorachi Ace).

You could use Chinook since it is already in the recipe. Columbus would do OK. Magnum would be clean. Really any high alpha hop that doesn't have a dominant flavor.

what you use for the bittering charge is not too critical. You can use pretty much anything that is not going to stand out flavor wise (example not to use would be sorachi ace).

You could use chinook since it is already in the recipe. Columbus would do ok. Magnum would be clean. Really any high alpha hop that doesn't have a dominant flavor.

+1

Magnum sounds good IMO. I use brew toad has any one had any issues with there software? Thanks for the clarification. On this

I will be giving this a shot this weekend. If any one has any critique they want to express on this recipe let me know. I kinda just put this together from various recipes I found around the web. I'm really going for something like Sierra Nevadas ruthless rye pa

I will be giving this a shot this weekend. If any one has any critique they want to express on this recipe let me know. I kinda just put this together from various recipes I found around the web. I'm really going for something like Sierra Nevadas ruthless rye pa

I think it looks pretty good. The ruthless clone in BYO has less rye and more crystal, but I actually like your rye percentages better. You could up the C-60 some if you want, that's a pretty small amount in yours.

Noted thanks I'm heading to the lhbs later today. I will up the c60 to full pound. I'll let you know how it goes...

Back