Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Good second brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
giant016
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Good second brew?

My first brew isn't even bottled yet and I'm already thinking what I should do next. One of the reasons I started brewing was to try different beers. Are there any beers that are different, yet the ingredients are easy to find and the brewing process isn't too hard? I like lagers don't have the ability to ferment them at the cold temps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
mbreen01
Recipes 

Brown ale, stout, porter, red, IPA, English mild/bitter, wit bier, Belgian ales, wheat, Hefe Weizen...
The sky is the limit; especially since you have easy access to pretty much any ingredient you need using the internet.

A better idea, would be for you to go out and try a wide array of commercial brews and think about what you like/dislike about each one and why. Then you can begin to look for a good recipe in the particular style you want. If you don't have access to a very broad selection, then post up about what beers you've tried and liked and why. Perhaps someone can suggest something more appropriate for you. Otherwise, the suggestion is just reflective of what WE like.

Marc.

PS. But a batch that you don't really like makes quite a nice gift! he he. (now I'm not admitting anything from personal experience of course.)

On tap & enjoying: Honey Wheat; Cheese's Caramel Cream Ale
Gone with a belch: Bock Talkit; Three Kings Better Bitter; Quake & Bake Oatmeal Stout; High Altitude Pale Ale
On deck: Garbage Pale Ale; Honey Wheat

Old 11-23-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Go Hefeweizen!

Old 11-24-2006, 12:21 AM   #4
giant016
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreen01
Brown ale, stout, porter, red, IPA, English mild/bitter, wit bier, Belgian ales, wheat, Hefe Weizen...
The sky is the limit; especially since you have easy access to pretty much any ingredient you need using the internet.

A better idea, would be for you to go out and try a wide array of commercial brews and think about what you like/dislike about each one and why. Then you can begin to look for a good recipe in the particular style you want. If you don't have access to a very broad selection, then post up about what beers you've tried and liked and why. Perhaps someone can suggest something more appropriate for you. Otherwise, the suggestion is just reflective of what WE like.

Marc.

PS. But a batch that you don't really like makes quite a nice gift! he he. (now I'm not admitting anything from personal experience of course.)
I think my favorite beers are probably porters, except Guiness. I don't care what everyone else thinks, I hate Guiness. Now...where'd I put that flame suit?

Anyways, I want to try something different. Trying to make something like beers I already like would go against what I'm trying to do. Just trying to find something distinctive I guess. I found a beer that actually isn't made from hops, but some kind of flower. The brewing process was do-able, but I have no idea where I'd find this flower. I don't mind taking suggestions from what you guys like, because if I only try stuff I know I like I'll never be able to try the full spectrum of beers.

Old 11-24-2006, 12:35 AM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
I think my favorite beers are probably porters, except Guiness. I don't care what everyone else thinks, I hate Guiness. Now...where'd I put that flame suit?

I found a beer that actually isn't made from hops, but some kind of flower
I won't flame you for disliking Guinness, but I will correct you - it's a stout, not a porter.

The flowers you mention aren't Humulus lupulus are they? Hops are the flowers of that particular species.

For something different, try an English mild. There really aren't many of those commercially available. It's not wild or flashy, it doesn't have 100+ IBUs, it doesn't use non-traditional ingredients, but it IS different.

Old 11-24-2006, 12:49 AM   #6
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016

Have you tried proper Guiness and not the watered down stuff you get outside of Ireland?

...btw, you don't have to like every beer in the world!

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 11-24-2006, 01:19 AM   #7
giant016
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
The flowers you mention aren't Humulus lupulus are they? Hops are the flowers of that particular species.
Nope. It's Yarrow. Page 221 in "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing". Probably the smallest ingredient list I've seen so far. Extra light malt extract, fresh Yarrow flowers/leaves, sweet gale, American ale-type yeast, and corn sugar for bottling. When spring comes I may see if I can find some Yarrow.

To the other poster: I've only had the Guiness from the U.S.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:29 AM   #8
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You should be able to just about chew guiness! Four sips (gulps really) to the pint :-)
I had some about ten years ago in America and you could see through the pint glass to the other side. Maybe I just had a bad local pub.

I had my 30th birthday party in Dublin - that was messy.

Primary
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled

Old 11-24-2006, 02:42 AM   #9
t-dogg
Recipes 

dibby33 give him the ye olde ripper recipe that sounds interesting is it a barley wine?

Old 11-24-2006, 02:53 AM   #10
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Taken from www.thhbs.intas.net :

YE OLDE RIPPER (Basically a barley wine)

6kg dry light malt extract
250g honey
750g corn sugar
60g Pride of Ringwood boiling hops (13.2 alpha)
60g Cascade boiling hops (5.5 alpha)
2 teaspoon Irish moss
60g Fuggles hops (finish)
Champagne yeast

Boil malt, boiling hops, and corn sugar in 7 litres water for about 1 hour.
In last 30 minutes add Irish moss and Fuggles hops. Strain into the fermenter and ¾ fill fermenter with cold water. Pitch yeast and ferment as per THBS brewing sheet. Bottle and age for at least 1 year - it will be worth it!!!! The 280g/L O.G. is high and will give the beer an alcohol of about 12%, so drink with care!!!!!

...I have only just started brewing and I have been using the THBS brewing sheet and have not had any problems at all. It is normally for kit brewing but is a good starting point.
http://www.thbs.intas.net/beer_how_to.htm

Primary
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled

Quick Reply