Good cider recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ax89

Reaction score
**sorry, can this be moved to cider forum***

btw we in britian call cider, fermented AJ and in the US you call in hard cider also you call cider what we call AJ. I think this is generally a US forum.

I have honey, brown sugar, elderflowers, apples, apple concentrate (AJ), tea. I suppose i should add them all.

I was looking at using 5L of AJ but not sure whether to peel/dice an apple and add that as well.

I just measured the specific gravity of AJ at 1.55 which is quite high.

Any tips here?

The only cider I made was just apple juice and Cote Blanc yeast. It turned out really well. Don't overthink it.

yea ciders are so easy......just pick fresh juice and add yeast. Add flavorings like different types of sugars, other fruit juices, and spices such as cinnamon to give the cider a unique taste.

Yea, don't overthink. The best ciders are usually just apple juice and maybe a little extra sugar if your gravity is below 1.050. You can experiment around with sugars, but I find I really don't need them unless I'm aiming to make something higher gravity.

Your biggest question is whether you want it dry, sweet or semi sweet. If you want it sweet or semi sweet, I'd suggest checking out Stovetop Pasteurization. It really seems like one of the best ways to get a sweet bottled cider with no chemicals or backsweetening.

Back