Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Good Base for Blackberry Wheat?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
peacefrog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Good Base for Blackberry Wheat?

Hi folks,

The roomie and I are having a party at the end of the summer and, among other things, are going to show off the new kegging set-up with four brews on tap. Three of them (Ed's Apfelwein, Vanilla Chocolate Porter, and a DFH 60-minute clone) are underway, but I've still got one more to go: Blackberry Wheat. I haven't chosen a recipe yet and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. My plan was to do a nice wheat then rack it onto a few pounds of blackberry mash to sit for a few weeks.

I was looking at Ed's Hefeweizen. Do you think that'd be a good one? Something else? Looking for all-grain only, please.

Thanks so much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Anything that is close to 50/50 pale malt/wheat malt will do you well. Could go to a ratio of 60/40 to 40/60. Anything in that range would be great. Don't go too high on the hops so it has nice berry aroma and flavor. It'll be hard to go wrong!

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 07-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3480 Times on 2154 Posts
Likes Given: 2986

I would be careful with that yeast. It will definately give you bananas and bubble gum at temps over 70. It is the only yest I use for wheats, but for a fruit beer I might consider the 1010 American Wheat. Otherwise, sounds great! Oh, I should mention that you can get fruit purees in a 3 lb. can (Oregon brand) that will make this much easier for you, and it also ensures that the fruits are sterile.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
peacefrog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Oh, I should mention that you can get fruit purees in a 3 lb. can (Oregon brand) that will make this much easier for you, and it also ensures that the fruits are sterile.
That is a useful tip, but what I failed to mention is that I've got a ton of frozen blackberries harvested from my backyard which inspired the plan, and I'll be using them. (Last year we did a blackberry barleywine.) I'm planning to camden 'em.

Quick Reply