Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Ginsing Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
Alex Kieth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ginsing Beer?

Does any body have a receipe for Ginsing beer? I had some out in B.C. a couple of years ago. Something called Rethink beer, made by Tree Brewery, on contract for some guys. They also added ginko and tribulus as well. It had an.......effect!
I would like to try to make a batch of beer with ginsing root, but I would like an idea of proportions. I have whole dried root from Kamloops. The taste is bitter sweet, not unpleasent at all. The Chinese lady from whom I purchased the roots told me that it is commonly added to chicken soup.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
gadfly_dan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default make an extract

my approach to using more exotic ingredients has been to make an alcohol extract when possible. Take a cup or two of neutral alcohol (e.g. cheap vodka) and steep your herb in it for a few days to a week, then strain out the chunks and keep the extract in an airtight jar. You can then add drop at a time to find a good ratio of extract to base recipe.

It's generally a good rule of thumb to add herbal flavorings at the end of the boil or even at the time you rack your beer to a secondary fermentor, as the aromatics that give much of the scent and flavor to herbs are volatile and boil off fairly quickly if added during your boil time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply