Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Ginger Snap Brown Ale.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default Ginger Snap Brown Ale.

So I was talking to someone about Iron Brewer, and went back to the basic brewer podcast on the subject, and they were talking about putting frosted oatmeal cookies in the mashtun, and how much the flavor came through. I'm a big fan of gingersnaps so I thought I'd give this a try.

Figuring out a rough amount of gravity points for the cookies is difficult. I used this nutrition facts website for the amount of sugar per box http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutritio...er-snaps<br /> It gives a rough Idea, I'm actually go to take a preboil gravity and tweak the hops accordingly I want a balanced hop bill so the cookies will shine through.

I've found with my brewing experiments of adding things to the mash tun, such a chocolate and even tortilla chips, that they grain will actually absorb any oils in whatever you add. Contrary to what people have thought I've never had problems from the fats of chocolate in my mole porter, or fats and salt from my tortilla chips in my cream ale affect the heading of the beer. So I am really not worried about anything undesirable coming from these cookies. And since the iron brewers have done cookies, and James spencer has done breakfast ceral in the mash, I'm excited to see how this turns out. I may add more cookies to the boil if it seems like they didn't come through as heavily in the mash.

Quote:
Ginger Snap Brown Ale
Brew Type: All Grain
Style: Christmas/Winter Specialty Spice
Batch Size: 2.50 gal
Boil Volume: 3.50 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 % Equipment: Kitchen Setup 4.5 gallon Pot/5 gallon cooler

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
1# Ginger Snap Cookies Adjunct 16.37 %
2 lbs 1.7 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 45.83 %
1 lbs 2.1 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 24.55 %
8.2 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 11.13 %
1.6 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2.13 %
0.60 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
0.32 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.052 SG (1.030-1.110 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG (1.005-1.025 SG)
Estimated Color: 17.2 SRM (5.0-50.0 SRM) Color
Bitterness: 26.4 IBU (0.0-70.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 4.1 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.01 % (2.50-12.00 %)

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Mash Tun Weight: 4.00 lb
Mash Grain Weight: 4.60 lb Mash

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 1.44 gal of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min
Sparge Water: 2.86 gal @ 168 Degrees.

Mash Notes
Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Notes
Base is 11c Norther English Brown Ale 1.040-1.052 OG, 12-22 srms, 20-30 ibu's. 1 Lb box of ginger snaps in mash tun. 1 Box of Nabisco = 176g of sugar or 6.2 ounces. Used the calculation for 6.2 ounces turbinado sugar for a rough gravity assumption. Will actually be using Meijer's brand snaps.
My base recipe is an english brown, as opposed to a more hoppy american. I've never done that style. But I figured Marris Otter, and biscuit would hopefully be a nice "crackery" backbone. The oats are just for a little more help with heading.

What do you think? I'm actually more interested in what you think of the base Brown recipe, than anything else. Also, anyone got a better yeast suggestion that would bring out what I'm hoping to achieve? The only English Ale yeasts I've ever used have been 04 and windsor. I am hoping to bring out the crispness/bisquityness of the grain bill.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Revvy

Recipes 

This is how I primed it.

Quote:
I've done chilies, citrus peels, and even some spices in the boil and strained out after. I decided to add 1.5 ounces of ginger to my priming sugar boil.

As you can see it has a nice straw color as opposed to the clear you are used to. It smelled amazingly like ginger.

I've also done it with dried chilli peppers for my chocolate mole porter. And done citrus peels with various beers such as using orange peels in my wits.

You could do it with any dry spice, such as cloves, coriander, star anise for a licorice beer, cinnamon and even a vanilla beer. You can do with this is to add some lactose to the boil as well, since it is unfermentable, it should sweeten the flavor somewhat.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-18-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
Red Clay

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Ha! I was just last week talking to my brewing crew about trying a Ginger(Snap)Ale by putting the Ginger Snaps in the mash. They weren't as enthusiastic about it as I am, so I figured it would be one of my personal experiments.

I don't have near the experience brewing that you do, but I see that we had some of the same thoughts. I was going to go after the biscuty flavors for sure. I think that Marris Otter sounds like a nice start as a base. I figured I'd use a touch of oats in the mash as well (although I might toast them a bit first.)

I would likely toss in a bit of wheat malt as well (15% or so). I'll probably split that Caramel Malt up into a several smaller crystal additions. I just like the complexity that I get from a range of crystal notes.

As to the yeast, I was looking for something clean that would accent the malt a bit, finish a bit on the sweet side and not produce much sulfur. I've had good luck with WL028 Scottish Ale Yeast in the past (nice slow fermentation starting at 60F), and was considering that. I've not tried it (and it's a platinum strain, so it might not be available), but the WLP037 Yorkshire Square description sounds interesting:

"This yeast produces a beer that is malty, but well-balanced. Expect flavors that are toasty with malt-driven esters. Highly flocculent and good choice for English pale ales, English brown ales, and mild ales."

I'll whip up my recipe and post it. Maybe we can both give it a go and compare results.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:29 AM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Clay View Post
Ha! I was just last week talking to my brewing crew about trying a Ginger(Snap)Ale by putting the Ginger Snaps in the mash. They weren't as enthusiastic about it as I am, so I figured it would be one of my personal experiments.
Finally. I was feeling lonely in this.

Feel free to post your recipe as well.

Have you listend to the Iron Brewer's Podcast?? It's not the best interview in the history of brewing podcasts, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Quote:
January 14, 2010 - GBS Iron Brewer Competition

Jeff Britton, president of the Garage Brewers Society of O'Fallon, Missouri, explains his club's current contest centering around mystery ingredients.

Listen MP-3

Old 12-18-2010, 02:26 AM   #5
Red Clay

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm starting with JZ's Southern English Brown Ale recipe as a base.

What potential yield did you end up using for the Ginger Snaps? I went with 1.025, but frankly that was just a stab in the dark. I see that five Murray's Old Fashioned Ginger Snaps has 22g of carbs, which accounts for 5/6 of the total mass (25g). But I don't know how to account for the sugar versus the toasted wheat flour. I figure it is less convertible than grains (which have 1.035 potential.) But that's just a wag.

EDIT: Ah, I see in your notes that you figured out the grams of sugar in a box and converted it to raw. Cool I might well be assuming way more conversion than I get, but since I'm 5 points high versus the Southern Brown Ale style, then I should be a right.

I did listen to that podcast. I thought it was great (Cap'n Crunch Beer = pure awesome). I don't think I heard the end of it as I had to board a plane iirc. I'll give it another listen tomorrow.

Here is the recipe I'm making on 12/19/2010.

Quote:
Recipe: Ginger Snap Ale
Style: Southern English Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 2.42 gal
Boil Size: 3.51 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 19.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item % or IBU
12.0 oz -- Ginger Snap Cookies ----- 16.45%
2 lbs ----- Pale Malt, Maris Otter --- 43.86%
8.0 oz --- Caramel Malt - 90L ------- 10.96%
4.0 oz --- Caramel Malt -120L ------ 5.48%
4.0 oz --- Caravienne Malt ---------- 5.48%
4.0 oz --- Oats, Flaked ------------- 5.48%
4.0 oz --- Special Roast ----------- 5.48 %
4.0 oz --- Wheat Malt, Ger --------- 5.48 %
1.0 oz --- Acid Malt -----------------1.32 %
0.50 oz -- Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) 17.9 IBU
1 Pkgs --- Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) Built up in a 1 liter starter and pitched at high krausen.

Mash Schedule: BIAB Stovetop
Total Grain Weight: 4.56 lb
----------------------------
BIAB Stovetop
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.75 qt of water at 158.1 F 154.0 F

Notes:
------
Add 4 oz of crushed Giner Snaps in a bag at flame-out (adjust based on taste of the boiled..and cooled...wort before flameout.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I picked up, but didn't buy, my intended hops (Kent Goldings). So I've got some Tettnang in the freezer that will have to serve. It's just for bittering anyway, so hopefully it won't have too much influence.

Last edited by Red Clay; 12-18-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Changed recipe

Old 12-20-2010, 02:18 AM   #6
Red Clay

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Okay, it's in the fermentor! My OG was off a bit, but mainly because I'm still dialing in my BIAB system and overshot my batch volume and ended up with 3+ gallons instead of 2.5- gallons. That's 72% efficiency on the volume, so the difference in sugar is all in that little bit that wouldn't fit in my 3 gallon Better Bottle. I should have boiled longer.

(I'm already predicting a mess since I've got over 2.5 gallons in it that 3 gallon BB...I don't think my blow off hose is big enough and might clog up before I can get a larger one in the morning.)

So, OG ended up at 1.037 instead of the estimated 1.045...but it's dead in the middle of the style. So, yeah, I meant to do that

I ended up not adding any Ginger Snaps at the end of the boil. Bob (my LHBS owner) suggested that as a way to get more umph from the cookies. I tasted the wort and I could detect a slight ginger snap flavor. Since I was seeing tiny flecks of oil on the surface of the wort, I decided to leave it alone. The final wort has a definite, but slight, Ginger Snap flavor.

I'm fermenting cool for the yeast, starting at 63F and letting it rise to 67F. I missed high Krausen on the yeast by about 12 hours I think. But I'm betting I get a good start anyway.

Other than those changes, I stayed pretty much to recipe.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

I'm kinda torn. Have just started reading the latest byo, I'm intrigued by the idea of brewing a mild, EITHER the ginger snap one or the banana Bread beer as a session beer. I don't know. It's just that I have a stout and a chocolate mole porter already in the pipeling...so maybe another porter isn't needed...

I'll probably revisit the jamaican burnt sugar that I was trying to locate for my lion's stout clone to use in this beer as well.

So much to brew, so little time.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:13 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Well, I have a brew day scheduled for tomorrow, and although I usually don't brew my experiments in 5 gallon sizes, I have the urge to brew this more than anything esle, so I guess I'm going to go for a 5 gallon batch of this......

Old 12-28-2010, 04:53 AM   #9
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Don't really have any input, but I wanna hear how it turns out, so...subscribed!

Old 12-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

I just doughed it.....2 14 ounce boxes of ginger snaps in the mash....

Quick Reply