Gin Beer Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMC12

Reaction score
Ok, so I have toyed with the idea of making a Gin inspired beer with a slight cucumber flavor (Like Hendrick's Gin). I have seen that Midnight Sun has a Bathtub Gin beer ( a gruit beer brewed with no hops) and Dogfish Head has made their Dirty Fermentini (blonde ale beer brewed with the ingredients from their homemade gin, and olives)

So, here is where I need everyone's help. Some of the ingredients I have not used before, so I am unaware of how much to add. Any help would be great and I figured through the information that everyone could provide a finalized recipe may be created for me to try and brew.

I figured I would start with a good, basic, solid foundation. That is why I picked Dogfish Head Shelter Pale ale clone, and have modified it somewhat. (I also toyed with the idea of a Leffe Blonde clone, but too much grain/spiciness to it already?)

Anyway, here is what I came up with, and please let me know if the amount of herbs, etc. is too much.

10.75 lbs. 2 row pale malt
6.0 oz. (170 g) crystal malt (120 °L)
2.0 oz. (57 g) amber malt (35 ºL) (substitute dark Munich or carastan if needed)
1 lb honey

Mash at 150 for 60 min.

Boil:
1 Oz Cascade Hops (60 min)
1/2 ounce Crushed Juniper Berrie (15 min)
1/4 teaspoon Orris root powder (15 min)
1 Oz Corriander (15 min)
1/8 tablespoons black peppercorn (15 min)
1⁄2 tsp. Irish moss (15 min.)
1 lb honey (15 min)
1 lemon peel (2 min)
1/8 teaspoon Grains of Paradise (flameout)

Secondary:
1.5 pounds cut cucumbers

Bottling:
0.75 cup (150g) corn sugar (for priming)

From reading another thread, I would like to add cucumbers into the secondary. I am not looking for the big flavor that resulted in that, so I am cutting the amount in half.

Yeast: WLP002 English Ale Yeast or WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast (opinions)

Notes: alot of the beers I read use Angelica Root, but I could not find any information on how to use it, what it adds (besides bitterness), and a base point for the amount.

Any help/thoughts would be good. I tried to email Midnight Sun for some help on the receipe, but have not heard anything back.

Wow you totally read my mind on the same day. I was writing down gin ingredients only mine was more geared toward bombay sapphire. Bombay lists their "botanicals" as almond, corriander, cassia bark, angelica, juniper berries, GOP, lemon peel, liquorice, orris root, and cubeb berries.

Alot of the ingredients seem to have flavors that are traditionally used in a Wit beer so thats where I was heading with it. I was thinking of infusing vodka with all of the the botanicals to get the flavor I was looking for, brewing the wit, and then flavoring the keg to taste. Seems like there could be alot of volitals lost adding it all in the boil.

Soaking the ingredients was another idea I had. I even thought of soaking them in <insert Gin type here>, and then using that to flavor the beer.

I remember reading about similar spices in the Wit beers (I haven't done a Wheat/Wit beer yet).

Either way,since we are on the same page and most of the ingredients are similar it would be nice to bounce ideas back and forth for the amounts. Especially the Angelica, since I know nothing about that and it's even harder to find information online about using it in a beer.

I think what I may end up doing is brew a bunch of the shelter pale ale, and then try different combos soaking in liquor and see how it changes the flavor. the shelter pale ale has more hops, but when I brew this I will most likely just use the cascade as I listed in order to allow for the other flavors to come through.

I was also just thinking of doing a gin beer. I just finished an "Egyptian" beer for the museum where I made a 60% barley, 35% red wheat and 5% acidulated malt beer flavored with corriander, juniper, chamomile and bay. I tasted this lovely concoction and instantly thought of a gin beer. I was going to do a full ounce of juniper and add one tenth to one half ounce of other botanicals depending on their strength. I was also going to use Citra hops.

Did you do this? Did it work out?

I'm toying with the idea of using gin botanicals in a lightly hopped pale ale.

Back