Ghost chili vs naga ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoutman82

Reaction score
*not for the feint of heart can be dangerous to make*
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 13.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.8 IBU

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.5 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 90.83 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 9.17 %

1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.7 IBU

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (35 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (30 min) Hops 13.1

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops

Pacman yeast used, but any clean well attenuating yeast can be used. Try WLP001, Nottingham, or 1056 if pacman is not available.

You can use dry malt extract instead of the liquid if you=d like- use 8 pounds of DME instead.

And then for the kick
I soaked 5 lbs of ghost chili peppers in vodka for around 24 hours then purée to devilish taste. But wait there's more I made extract from 2 lbs of naga viper peppers. (sidenote if your making this please please be careful my girlfriend came home while making extract walked in the kitchen without eye protection and spent the next several hours with her eyes swollen shut wear proper eye and hand protection)
I added half of this mixture to the primary after the boil and will be adding the second part in the secondary.

I've made this before it's great for a hop/heat head it's like 60 min meets hell.

Good luck if your making it I'll share some more photos as it progresses.

image-3368517289.jpg

image-226046576.jpg

Mermaid said:
LOL - napalm beer!

where the hell does one get 5 lbs. of ghost chili peppers anyway?

My neighbor farms them turns out little Bristol Indiana (pop like 500) is sustainable for growing them.

I was thinking about making a beer just like this. What is the advantage of adding the chili's to the primary instead of just adding them to the boil. I had been thinking because chili's are oil based like hops adding them to the boil might produce better results. Interested to hear your reasoning. I have no experience using chili's in my brew.

Dude I put a dime size slice of a ghost chili in an amber ale and it was almost too much! This is insane!

I'm a serious hothead, and hydroponically grow several different superhot peppers like scorpions, douglahs, jolokias, sevens, etc. There's no way I would put 7 pounds of superhots in a five gallon batch of beer. That's just overkill.

You must hate your colon. Do you fart fire and poop lava?

Not sure if you've ever seen the original Cheech and Ching movie, but there's a scene in that movie that I quote very often. When they show up in mexico to pick up the truck to drive back to Cali, Cheech stops to use the bathroom. While he's sitting in the stall, you can very clearly hear him say:

"Come on, ice cream"

dude, I think your beer might be considered a WMD. careful homeland security doesn't show up...

Geez, I hope SWMBO lets you keep brewing beer after the kitchen incident! Sounds like this beer will be good (if not hot as hell). IANAL, but if I were you I would make someone sign a release statement before you let them try it to free yourself of potential legal liability. Restaurants do this all the time before they let people try foods that have been made with the Ghost Chili (mostly during competitions featuring hot wings that have been marinated in a heavily concentrated ghost chili sauce). It sounds like your beer very well could be featured in one of these 'can you finish it?' competitions!

Yeah truth be told I tried this yesterday was hot really hot but it's drinkable for a hothead but I think next time I'll halve the peppers

Or maybe put it on "man vs food" for one of those challenges he does. Like the super hot wings,or the 4 horsemen burger...have him do one of those with a pint of your ale as well. Talk about a suicide mission!:drunk:

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out, Stoutman82 :). I'm glad it's drinkable, but can definitely see how you'd want to reduce the peppers next time. I'm definitely interested in the idea of using peppers in brewing and may try to do a habanero IPA in the future. Cheers!

There's hothead, and then there's clinically insane. I grew up in Upstate NY and went to college in Buffalo, so I've been there and done that but never really understood the intentional overload that's getting more and more popular. Whats the point of completely destroying whatever is underneath layers of capsaicin and pain? If you're actually getting something out of it besides pain, you're a stronger human being than I

Back