Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Getting kolsh-like aroma: yeast, or ingredients?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
Brewmaster-D
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Getting kolsh-like aroma: yeast, or ingredients?

Hey guys,

Just wondering on some feedback on a new brew im about to embark on. I have a wheat-beer extract, to which I am planning on adding orange peel and corriander to make it into a Hoegaarden-type beer.
I had a kolsh brew at a local brewpub, and I very much liked the nice aromas the beer had. I was thinking of tryin to achieve these aromas in my hoegaarden clone. To get those nice kolsh aromas, should I use a specific type of yeast, tweak other ingredients, or am i trying to mix in together too many different beer qualities that may not work/ may conflict? Any opinions?

Thanks!

D.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A Koelsch is a very smooth and cleanly fermented beer. The yeast used doesn't produce many esters like other ale yeasts and it is cold lagered like true lagers are. This said I'd say it's not the yeast that created these aromas. The only aroma a Koelsh has, is a light to medium aroma of noble Hops (Saaz for example).

But oftentimes the various interpretation of a Koelsch style beer may be quite different from the standard and there may have been other aroma's in the Koelsh style beer you had.

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply