Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Recipes/Ingredients (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/)
-   -   get me off the extract!!!!! (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/get-me-off-extract-2706/)

duggysbrew 10-05-2005 07:30 AM

get me off the extract!!!!!
 
hi all

i've been out of the loop for a while, it's been a really cold winter here in toowoomba, Australia. so i haven't done any brewing for a couple of months. but it's just got back to above 30C again so it's time to brew. i have just put on an extract brew (Morgans Pilsner), but its the last one i want to do. i would like to start on grain brewing. has anyone got a simple recipe for a first time grain brewer.

thanks

FrewBrew 10-05-2005 02:42 PM

I dont have a recipe for ya... but I do have a question.

Whats the temperature outside have to do with your ability to brew? IMO the colder, the better, makes cooling the wort easier (put your brew pot outside for a little bit (covered of course) and it'll cool much faster)

Darth Konvel 10-05-2005 03:04 PM

A generic AG recipe (for 5 gals):
  • 8 lbs base malt (ie Pale 2-row)
  • 1 lbs Crystal malt (your choice of Lovibond rating)
  • 1/2 oz Bittering hops of your choice ~60 mins
  • 1 oz Flavoring hops of your choice ~30 mins
  • 1 oz Flavoring hops of your choice ~10 mins
Mash at 150-154 degrees for 90 mins, sparge, boil, cool, ferment, drink, be happy :)
edit: formating

duggysbrew 10-06-2005 12:49 AM

too cold
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrewBrew
I dont have a recipe for ya... but I do have a question.

Whats the temperature outside have to do with your ability to brew? IMO the colder, the better, makes cooling the wort easier (put your brew pot outside for a little bit (covered of course) and it'll cool much faster)

it's been below 10C for most of the winter and our heating only heats 2 rooms of the house. and my wife wouldnt let me brew in the lounge room.:(

duggysbrew 10-06-2005 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LupusUmbrus
A generic AG recipe (for 5 gals):
  • 8 lbs base malt (ie Pale 2-row)
  • 1 lbs Crystal malt (your choice of Lovibond rating)
  • 1/2 oz Bittering hops of your choice ~60 mins
  • 1 oz Flavoring hops of your choice ~30 mins
  • 1 oz Flavoring hops of your choice ~10 mins
Mash at 150-154 degrees for 90 mins, sparge, boil, cool, ferment, drink, be happy :)
edit: formating

this may sound stupid but i havn't done this type of brewing before, but what do the timings mean after the ingredients and 150-154 is that degrees F or C and what is sparge????? i think i'll have to go out and buy a good brewing book.
thanks:confused:

homebrewer_99 10-06-2005 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duggysbrew
this may sound stupid but i havn't done this type of brewing before, but what do the timings mean after the ingredients and 150-154 is that degrees F or C and what is sparge????? i think i'll have to go out and buy a good brewing book.
thanks:confused:

You definitely should have spent your winter reading instead of surfing, mate!

nick1023 10-06-2005 08:31 AM

the times are the length of time the hops are boiled. 150-154 is F. sparge is to drain the sugar from the grains after the mash. Dave Millers homebrewing guide is a good book for all grain brewing. check this website out it has more than enough info to get you through it and clear up a lot of questions: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter18-6.html

nick1023 10-06-2005 08:34 AM

wait start here instead: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter18.html

Shambolic 10-07-2005 01:33 AM

It sounds like you've only done kits so far, not your own recipes from extract.
Why not try that first?

duggysbrew 10-07-2005 02:40 AM

thanks blokes for the advise, i'll be hitting the books this weekend. i think i should have started this one in the beginners forum:)


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:54 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.