Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > German Sauer/Acidulated malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
BacklitAvenger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default German Sauer/Acidulated malt

So this stuff is used to lower the PH since it naturally contains lactic acid. What would happen if you were to use a much higher percent of it? THe point would be to add a subtle sourness without Having to use lactobacilli. You guys think this would work? What percent would you ballpark recommend?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

eh yeah it'd lend a sourness after a good bit I would think, but if you're going to go the easy route, you might as well just buy some lactic acid and add it to the finished beer.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 208 Times on 113 Posts

It takes a bit to add the sourness, and it doesn't give the flavor you would think. I didn't like it, personally, although I still use it in some beers (in small quantities)

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 06-03-2009, 12:54 AM   #4
BacklitAvenger
Recipes 

I see. I was wondering because I've been told that lactoBs don't like high IBU beers. I'd rather not just add lactic acid in, I'd rather derive it from the malts if not from lactobacilli themselves. I was told they tend to work poorly in 10 to 20+ IBUs. Any workarounds you guys know of?

Old 06-03-2009, 02:44 AM   #5
Jack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I used it at 3.5% in a recent beer. And I think it gives the beer a subtle sourness, but I could be projecting what I think/hope it should taste like.

As for it being the easy route... Isn't sour malt just regular malt that's already undergone a sour mash? And that's why it was used by Reinheitsgebot-conscious brewers?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:23 AM   #6
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacklitAvenger View Post
I see. I was wondering because I've been told that lactoBs don't like high IBU beers. I'd rather not just add lactic acid in, I'd rather derive it from the malts if not from lactobacilli themselves. I was told they tend to work poorly in 10 to 20+ IBUs. Any workarounds you guys know of?
It's slightly inhibited, but if put a pure culture in there, and a lot of them, they are not going to have that big of a problem.

Quick Reply