Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > German pilsner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
jaymack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default German pilsner

Hi,

I want to tackle an Extract w Grain Pilsner this weekend. I know a real Pilsner should be all-grain, but I'm not quite built for that yet.

I found this recipe:
http://www.thbs.intas.net/PV%20German%20Pils.htm

Thoughts?

I also read in Palmer's book that water is a KEY element to a good Pilsner.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks,
J

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
Mikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There is NO wheat in a pilsner of any type and NO saaz hops in a German pils. I'm not saying that it will be a bad beer (quite the contrary) but it's no where near a German Pils.

The water style will be the least of your problems and not really that relevant in an extract beer anyway as the minerals required are already present in the extract.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd definitely leave out the wheat extract and use Hallertauer for all of the hops.

Maybe something more like:
4.5 lbs. pale malt extract
2.5 lbs. pilsner malt
1 lb. vienna malt
1/2 lb. carapils

3/4 oz. hallertauer (60)
1/2 oz. hallertauer (20)
1 oz. hallertauer (5)

Maybe throw in some Irish Moss or something.

That bill calls for a partial mash, which would be a good practice step if you are thinking of going AG in time. Mash the grains around 152F for an hour then put the grain bag in a collander or sieve above the pot and "sparge" (with a ladel or something) the grain bag with 170F water, enough to bring you up to boil volume. then boil 'er, put the flame off and add the extract, boil again and on to the hop boils.

This should get you something along the pilsner lines, if you use a lager yeast and you cold-ferment and condition the beer. Do you have lagering capabilites?

In addition to the no wheat malt, Mikey is also right that water profiles mean less for an extract brew. Again though, if you want to dabble in tweaking water profiles (which you will NEED to do with an AG pils) then find you local water report and compare it to a German style, Munich or Dortmund or something. You can pretty much boil down (no pun intended, HA!) any additives to Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3), Calcium sulfate (Gypsum, CaSO4*@H2O), Calcium Chloride (CaCl2*2H2O), Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salts, MgSO4*7H2O) and Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda, NaHCO3).

I've not finished checking my #'s, but right now I am looking at the following minerals to get distilled water to something similar to Dortmund (I've got some work to do on the Bicarbonates):
1.7g Calcium Carbonate
.7g Calcium Chloride
1.5g Epsom Salts
1.15g Baking Soda

By my calcs, this gets me: (dortmund in parenthesis)
Ca 228.9 (225)
Mg 39 (40)
Na 86.25 (60)
Cl 88.9 (60)
SO4 154.5 (120)
Bicarbonate 219.65 (220)
Carbonate 268.8 (not sure, going to cut down on the bi's to balance this off....more research needed)

Old 01-31-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you really don't want to do a partial mash you can order this Pilsner Malt from Morebeer.com. I just did a pilny with that and it's actually really good. It's a little pricier than regular extract though...

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 01-31-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Fiery brought up the key point - this needs to be fermented cold, then cold-conditioned in secondary. If you can't do that, I'd look for another recipe. Pilsners are considered to be one of the more difficult brews to make.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #6
jaymack
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips. I CAN supply the cold storage for now, and have yet to brew a Lager-style beer (iIwant to take advantage of the our cold Ontario winter).

Could you maybe suggest somthign a little easier to start with, if not a Pilsner? I'm looking for something flavourful, and not not "Canadian Lager" sold at the Beer Store.

Cheers

Old 01-31-2007, 06:05 PM   #7
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sounds cool - howsaboot this thread -

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20578

<Background chants.....do the partial mash. do the partial mash. do the partial mash! do the partial mash!!!!!>

Old 01-31-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My first lager was a partial mash Pilsner Urquell 'clone' and it was excellent. If you can do an extract batch, then you pretty much have all the equipment you need to do a partial mash. Pick a good lager yeast - I like White Labs Czech Budejovice lager yeast - ferment cool, lager cold, and the rest is peanuts.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Sword
<Background chants.....do the partial mash. do the partial mash. do the partial mash! do the partial mash!!!!!>
Wow, I almost feel bad for suggesting an extract only alternative! I must say it is fun do to PMs, which is pretty much all I do now.... So nevermind about the extract thing... do the Partial Mash!!

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 01-31-2007, 07:40 PM   #10
jaymack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterio
My first lager was a partial mash Pilsner Urquell 'clone' and it was excellent. If you can do an extract batch, then you pretty much have all the equipment you need to do a partial mash. Pick a good lager yeast - I like White Labs Czech Budejovice lager yeast - ferment cool, lager cold, and the rest is peanuts.
Thanks for the tip, but I'm not certain I AM ready for Partial Mash. My intent is to investin a good 5 g Igloo cooler for Mashing. As of right now, I use a 4 gallon Pot for boiling, my buckets, and my carboys.
If I go Partial Mash, what then do I need to add to, or do with, what I have already?

Quick Reply