Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > German IPA?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
arringtonbp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default German IPA?!

A few days back I had created a post on here trying to find a clone for Southern Tier's Imperial Red ale, because I really enjoyed how they featured the Hallertau hops in that beer and wanted to try to incorporate that into my beer. Now I'm thinking that maybe an IPA is a good place to feature those hops. So, I took a recent IPA that I made, Northern Brewer's Dead Ringer IPA, and I messed around with it in Beersmith. Here's what I ended up with:

Steeping Grains:
1 lb Crystal 60L

Extract:
9.15 lbs Munich Malt Extract (from Northern Brewer)

Hops:
0.75 oz German Magnum (60 mins)
1.25 oz German Magnum (20 mins)
2.00 oz German Tradition (5 mins)
1.00 oz German Perle (dry hop)

Yeast:
Not sure yet

Does anybody have any opinions about how this may turn out? Any advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
arringtonbp
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Extract Recipe - German IPA?...Looking for Opinions

A few days back I had created a post on here trying to find a clone for Southern Tier's Imperial Red ale, because I really enjoyed how they featured the Hallertau hops in that beer and wanted to try to incorporate that into my beer. Now I'm thinking that maybe an IPA is a good place to feature those hops. So, I took a recent IPA that I made, Northern Brewer's Dead Ringer IPA, and I messed around with it in Beersmith. Here's what I ended up with:

Steeping Grains:
1 lb Crystal 60L

Extract:
9.15 lbs Munich Malt Extract (from Northern Brewer)

Hops:
0.75 oz German Magnum (60 mins)
1.25 oz German Magnum (20 mins)
2.00 oz German Tradition (5 mins)
1.00 oz German Perle (dry hop)

Yeast:
Not sure yet

Does anybody have any opinions about how this may turn out? Any advice?

Also, what is different about munich malt extract (other than the fact that it's made from 50% munich malt)?

Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
arringtonbp
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Edited to remove quote.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
I really enjoyed how they featured the Hallertau hops in that beer and wanted to try to incorporate that into my beer.
Where are the Hallertauer in your recipe? Tradition are a fine substitute, perhaps that is your plan? Regardless, the recipe looks basically good, though I'd make the following changes if it were me:

1. Reduce the C60 to 4-8 oz (I like a dryer IPA)

2. Use Magnum at just the 60 min mark

3. From 20 min on, use Tradition and Perle

I actually like Perle as a 20 minute addition, and I've never dry hopped with it. Tradition is also a good late boil hop, in my opinion. Perhaps a more staggered approach will impart more hop depth to the finished beer?

Cheers!

Old 04-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I think it will be awfully sweet and malty. You might consider going with something completely different with a German 2-row pils extract base and 5% CaraHell or CaraMunich. Magnum early, Hallertauer Mittelfruh late. Perle & Magnum do not offer much aroma. German Kolsch yeast from White Labs or Wyeast. Think light, hoppy, pale, and crisp instead of heavy, malty, dark, and difficult to drink.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I personally don't think this recipe will turn out very well. 100% Munich malt extract will be too sweet for an IPA-like beer, and the hops will be very herbally/floral.

I would do something along the lines of a Koelsch base, hopped to 50 IBU, and dry hopped. That's similar in style to what is called Rheinisches Bitterbier (essentially the Koelsch-version of a Kellerbier), and is quite tasty. I'd definitely First Wort Hop the beer as well.

Kegged: Porter, Scottish 80, Pils, Orange Blossom Mead

Old 04-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
arringtonbp
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post

Where are the Hallertauer in your recipe? Tradition are a fine substitute, perhaps that is your plan? Regardless, the recipe looks basically good, though I'd make the following changes if it were me:

1. Reduce the C60 to 4-8 oz (I like a dryer IPA)

2. Use Magnum at just the 60 min mark

3. From 20 min on, use Tradition and Perle

I actually like Perle as a 20 minute addition, and I've never dry hopped with it. Tradition is also a good late boil hop, in my opinion. Perhaps a more staggered approach will impart more hop depth to the finished beer?

Cheers!
In the southern tier imperial red, they call the other hops hallertau magnum, hallertau tradition, and hallertau perle. I guess they are all derived from hallertau. I like your advice here though and will definitely play with it. Maybe I'll do some one gal batches

Old 04-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
arringtonbp
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
I think it will be awfully sweet and malty. You might consider going with something completely different with a German 2-row pils extract base and 5% CaraHell or CaraMunich. Magnum early, Hallertauer Mittelfruh late. Perle & Magnum do not offer much aroma. German Kolsch yeast from White Labs or Wyeast. Think light, hoppy, pale, and crisp instead of heavy, malty, dark, and difficult to drink.
I like malty beer. But, the northern brewer Munich extract is half Munich and half pale. Would this be too malty still? Maybe German IPA is not the best descriptor. I'm just using an IPA recipe as a starting point and making changes from there.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
arringtonbp
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
I personally don't think this recipe will turn out very well. 100% Munich malt extract will be too sweet for an IPA-like beer, and the hops will be very herbally/floral.

I would do something along the lines of a Koelsch base, hopped to 50 IBU, and dry hopped. That's similar in style to what is called Rheinisches Bitterbier (essentially the Koelsch-version of a Kellerbier), and is quite tasty. I'd definitely First Wort Hop the beer as well.
The northern brewer Munich extract is only half munich malt. I'm not sure if it would still be too sweet, but maybe I could change the extract additions. Maybe 6 lbs Munich extract and 3.15 lbs maris otter or pale extract?

Also, I've never heard of a rheinisches bitterbier. Can we find these in the US?

First wort hopping...I will have to try that

Old 04-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by arringtonbp View Post
The northern brewer Munich extract is only half munich malt. I'm not sure if it would still be too sweet, but maybe I could change the extract additions. Maybe 6 lbs Munich extract and 3.15 lbs maris otter or pale extract?

Also, I've never heard of a rheinisches bitterbier. Can we find these in the US?

First wort hopping...I will have to try that
If it's anything like Briess' Munich (which is also 50/50 I think), it will be fairly sweet unless you play with enzymes to dry it out a bit. I would use 1 can of Munich and the rest of a pale or Pilsner extract.

I don't think Bitterbier is commonly available in the U.S. See http://thebittenbullet.blogspot.com/...d-tasting.html for some vague info
Kegged: Porter, Scottish 80, Pils, Orange Blossom Mead

Quick Reply