Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > George Washington's Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
INWarner413
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default George Washington's Porter

Most of us have already seen this recipe.

Please note that I am hoping to simply re-create the beer exactly as George's was; I am not interested in comments like "this would make the beer taste better". If George's beer tasted bad by modern standards, then I want this batch of beer to taste bad by modern standards. Translating his recipe, here's what I've come up with for a five gallon batch:

Grain: "A large sifter full of bran". I'm going to use 2.5# of 6-Row. From what I've read, this is most likely what type of grain they had. The amount is a pure guess, but in line with how much grain is typically in my extract porter.

Molasses: "put in 3 Gallons Molasses". I know this part is about right. A gallon of molasses weighs around 12#; his recipe called for 3 gallons [36#] for a 30 gallon batch, so dividing the batch size by six gives me 6# of molasses.

Hops: "Hops to your Taste". I think around 2 ounces of hops would put me where "my taste" is for a normal five gallon batch, but as you'll read below, I am going to replicate George's three hour boil...sigh. So, given the crazy long boil, I'm going to need more. How much more, though? 4 ounces? 8 ounces? Could use some advice on this front. Also, what type of hops is the question...I think centennial and cascade would work well, but what type of hops do y'all think GW used? Any information as to what type of modern hops would best replicate the types of hops that GW used?

Yeast: "Then put in a quart of Yeast". I'm probably going to go with Nottingham, the most basic yeast I can think of.

Procedure: Here's where things get interesting. I want to nearly replicate his exact procedure, meaning that I will boil the grain and hops for THREE hours and then "drain the molasses into the Cooler & strain the Beer on it while boiling Hot." I'm going to use a bottling bucket instead of his "cooler". I will deviate a little from his procedure by using a wort chiller instead of his "nature", and ferment like I normally would - a week in primary, a week in secondary, and then bottle. They'll be opened on the 4th of July.

So, summarizing the advice I'm looking for:
1) 2.5# of six-row seem about right?
2) How much and what type of hops for a three hour boil?
3) Nottingham yeast make sense?

Should be a fun experience, regardless of how the product turns out.

Bottled: Imp. Stout, Imp. Coffee Stout, Cherry Barleywine, GW Molasses Porter, IkePA, Maple Pecan Bourbon Brown, Cherry Melomel, Skeeter Pee, 120 Clone
On Deck: Strawberry Blonde
ao125 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I don't have a whole lot of advice, but I'm excited to see how this turns out.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would figure a low aa% hop for the beginning of the boil, so the 3 hours doesn't make out extremely bitter. Maybe even do first wort hop. Probably wouldn't need any other hops until the end of the boil. Not sure if he would have had the typical american citrusy hops though. Really not sure. Interested to see how this comes out for you!

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
TacoBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I wouldn't suggest adding boiling wort to a plastic bucket.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
INWarner413
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Chapa: Sounds like it makes sense.

TacoBrew: Good point. Will pour the boiling wort over the molasses in another brew pot to chill, then into the bottling bucket for fermentation.

Bottled: Imp. Stout, Imp. Coffee Stout, Cherry Barleywine, GW Molasses Porter, IkePA, Maple Pecan Bourbon Brown, Cherry Melomel, Skeeter Pee, 120 Clone

Old 05-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
johnnybob
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I ran some of the figures thru Beersmith and came up with this:

3lbs 6 row
6 lbs molasses
2.5 oz Cluster hop pellets - 180 min (Cluster is an old American variety)

OG - 1.059
IBU - 65
SRM - 34

This sounds like a fun experiment. Please post back and let us know how it turns out.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
INWarner413
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for posting, Johnnybob. I was unaware of the history of cluster hops; they're certainly the ones I'll use in this. Brew day is tomorrow!

Old 05-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
Sithdad
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

GW probably used an English variety of hops not American.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
chazzman
Recipes 

A while ago I saw a recipe credited to GW looking very much like this one calling
for Hallertauer hops. I can't say for sure if this is it. It was called something
like "General George's Potent Potable".

Old 05-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Clusters were THE American hop before prohibition. They were commercially cultivated as early as the mid 1600s, so it seems that clusters would have been the hop of choice for GW. However, he may have imported fuggles or goldings since he was a rich old white guy and imported stuff seems to be what old rich white guys like best. Not that it matters much, since they are strictly a bittering addition. I love historical beer, this should be a cool experiment. I have heard that GW's small beer ends up being quite minerally due to the iron content of the molasses.

On Deck: Saison "Jardin d'été" (3rd Gen 3711, Wild bugs, Pale ale malt, wheat, Willamette dry hop)
Primary: Saison "Vomissure de Grenouille" (2nd Gen 3711 from dregs, Pale Ale malt, Crystals and Willamettes)
Secondary: BM45/Spontaneous Bugs Experiment (down to 1.004, and tastes awesome), contemplating what fruit to add.

ErieShores Likes This 

Quick Reply