Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Generic high alpha hop for bittering Belgians???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #11
maltMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinGutesBier View Post
I used Galena as a generic high alpha hop in my strong dark Belgian and I have to say it came through too much in the taste. There was a grassy note that didn't quite agree with me, so I can't agree that Galena would be good for that one. Unfortunately, I can't think of an alternative recommendation right now.
Did you get any kind of a soapy note with the Galena? I'm trying to see if it's the cause of some of my beer woes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #12
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltMonkey View Post
Did you get any kind of a soapy note with the Galena? I'm trying to see if it's the cause of some of my beer woes.
I can't say I recall any soapy notes. Just grassiness and maybe a touch of herbal scent. All in all, I"d almost say those dynamics were...overwhelming in some regard.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #13
Cugel
Recipes 

This is why I'm looking for a high-alpha hop whose character will be almost absent in the final product.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #14
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
This is why I'm looking for a high-alpha hop whose character will be almost absent in the final product.
You don't need something that's very high AA for bittering a Belgian. Still, I'd recommend Nugget for bittering, since I understand that any of its characteristics could be described as resiny or semi-sweet, not unlike Fuggles and their derivatives. On the chance that any of its nuances come through, they should complement the appropriate flavor and aroma hops that you should be using (Goldings/Fuggles, Saaz, Tettananger, etc) for that style.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:00 PM   #15
Aspera
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You might be able to get away with a small amount of German Perle or Willamette, but I generally stick to Styrian Goldings, Goldings, Fuggles and Saaz for bittering. Its worth the extra 4 bucks to bitter with a low alpha hop and develop those round, earthy flavors that make low gravity Belgian beer so fine.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #16
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Nugget is probably another good choice as its, beta acid & cohumulone % are similar to SG.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply