The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > The GaP (Grocery and Produce) Beer Experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #31
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

This is pretty darn good preparation for the coming zombiepocalypse....

I still maintain that he who can make some form of potable beverage, after the water system collapses, will be the leader of masses (and get all the nubile chicks.)

We'll know what stuff we need to grab when we're raiding walmart.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #32
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This will most likely turn into some kind of horrible jailhouse/post-apocolyptical, brewed in dark basements and bomb shelters kinda drink. But just like revvy said we will be the only ones with alcohol when the civilized world crashes to an end!!!!!

Old 06-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #33
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

We'll be the snake oil salesmen of the new milenia!!!

We'll go from town to town in our horsedrawn hummers, trading our "magic barley water" for bags of rice and nubile women.

I've even got my label/sign made up

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #34
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28 View Post
This will most likely turn into some kind of horrible jailhouse/post-apocolyptical, brewed in dark basements and bomb shelters kinda drink. But just like revvy said we will be the only ones with alcohol when the civilized world crashes to an end!!!!!
I don't konw, besides the yeast problems, I think that some of these could turn out quite good, different most definatly, depending on the process and ingrediants used. can't be any stranger than "Mountain Brew" http://byo.com/recipe/1331.html
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 06-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #35
Arneba28

Recipes 

lol "Cures lack of sexual prowess and wooing of the opposite sex" Perfect@!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #36
Arneba28

Recipes 

We could all do this!!!!

Originally Posted by RICLARK
put 2 loafs of bread into a trashbag with 2 gallons of water let sit three monthes and then add it to your wort.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #37
Tenchiro

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was considering using natural ginger beer (non-alcoholic) as the base fermentable. I also found a couple of brands of malt soda, some are even hopped. It was also suggested that bitters can be used from the mixer section of the supermarket.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #38
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

For wild fruit yeasts head to the organic section and grab some peaches or grapes, don't wash them, put them in some sugar water with breathable cloth on the top in a jar, store in warm place, and wahla! starter! http://windintheroses.googlepages.com/wildyeast

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 06-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #39
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have been thinking about this thread all morning when I should be thinking about something else. The issue of the yeast concerns me the most, but keep in mind that bread yeast and top fermenting ale yeast are the same species but prepared differently. Even though, I'm still not sure I'm willing to ferment with bread yeast, so I'm leaning toward the cultivate from a bottle idea. I can see the potential here to make a suprisingly drinkable beer. Hell, if ancient civilizations could make beer that was drinkable (and apparently good to them) the only real thing standing in our way is re-defining "drinkable".

I'm thinking of doing no more than a 2-gallon batch just because this sounds like a hell of alot of fun, and might be a good skill to have in case of an apocalypse.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #40
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Here is a link for ways to culture wild yeast. Any one want to give the last one (Other options) a go?

Edit: Other links

http://ourworld.cs.com/omsapphire/beer/wildyeast.html
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...ild-Yeast.aspx

Make Beer, Not War.

Last edited by McKBrew; 06-16-2008 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply