Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > The GaP (Grocery and Produce) Beer Experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #301
NeiloGD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think this may actually be my first post....

Anyways, I tried this experiment. These are the ingredients as I remember:

750g of Pearl Barley. (Crushed)
750g of Rolled Oats.
500g of Brown Sugar.
2x Grapefruits. (Hop substitute) (Squeezed juices, also put peels into it)
Some digestive enzyme pills I found in my local store (used for the mash)
8l of Tap Water.
10g of Bakers Yeast.

Measured up around 3.5-4% ABV (I think, I measured a while ago, didn't document it)

I put this on back in Feb, let it ferment out and bottled it. Tasted god awful at that point (1 month in the fermenter). I have summoned up the courage to try it again tonight after bottling. I must say, it has turned out "Ok". It is drinkable, VERY drinkable. Tastes like a white wine, just a touch anyway. I can't say it is my fav brew so far, but I am surprised at how well it has aged. It tastes alright, nothing fantastic - a little sour, rather than bitter. Overall I am impressed that it turned out as a nice drinkable piss. That is all it is, but I do want to improve upon this now.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #302
sahdff
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 20

This amazing thread inspired my second post to the site and my second brew. This is my first attempt at a Grocer and Produce Alcoholic Beverage and also at washing yeast. I'm not really sure it could be called beer, but it will definitely have alcohol in it. I loosely based it on post #300, but with no grain it's probably going to turn out more like a bitter hard tea ( but really, where else could I get away with posting this recipe?).

64 oz of sun tea (Red Rose Brand, my personal favorite)
.5 oz Rosemary (dried) (for bitterness)
2 TBSP Cocoa Powder (for bitterness)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
Yeast washed from Munton's Bock Extract Kit. (probably generic ale yeast)

First I put 8 tea bags in 64 ounces of water and set it in the afternoon sun for a few hours. (I actually forgot about it until after dark, but it was cool outside.) I then boiled the brown sugar in about 1.5 cups of water and let that cool. Then I boiled the cocoa and rosemary together for around 5 minutes, and strained that into the tea jar. I got around three to four ounces of moderately bitter, very aromatic liquid. The rosemary actually overpowered any hint of cocoa. I then added my yeast slurry to the cooled sugar water mixture and let that get a jumpstart. I let that work for 30 minutes to an hour, and then added it to my tea/rosemary/cocoa mixture. The bubbles didn't start back within an hour, but was bubbling along finely this morning. I debated on adding more sugar, but ultimately decided against it.

I tasted this before I added the yeast, and it was like a decent herbal tea. If it turns out tasting like donkey ass, I'm only out a couple of bucks and I got a good lesson in yeast washing. If it is close to drinkable, next time I will use molasses instead of brown sugar. BTW, this site is an excellent resource for GaP type beverages.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #303
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 18

My local Whole Foods actually has a homebrewing section! That would be cheating I suppose.

Shoot, for about 8 months there, they were the only place I could get Citra hops. Who knew? Maybe that's why they had them, not a lot of people go to the grocery store for brewing supplies.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:01 AM   #304
Deadrasputin
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For my next GAP Ale project I used a slightly different recipe then I did in post # 300. I wanted a thicker wort then before.

Grain Bill
2 pounds of corn meal
2 pounds of rolled oats
1 box Grape nuts cereal.

seasoning
2 ounces rosemary
2 cups Foldger's black coffee

sugars
2 pounds molasses
1 pound clove honey

extra
2 gallons spring water
1 package fleichmanns yeast

I soaked the grains and Rosemary in the spring water for 20 minutes in a mesh bag. Then added the molasses, coffee and honey to the kettle. Boiled every thing for 5 minutes. Cooled to room tempeture. Threw the 3 gallon mixture into the fermentor and pitched the yeast. Now the wait begins

Starting Gravity read 1.030

Really this project is nearly impossible without being able to malt any grains. I can add a grain flavor to the wort, but it is not the same as working with a malt extract.

The fermentable sugar is another issue. Too much honey makes a Mead. Not only does that break the rules of this post but it makes an Ale that tastes like white wine.

Substituting honey with molasses creates too much sweetness. Coffee and cloves could mask that.

At this point I feel like I am making bread flavored braggot's, not true Ales.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #305
bootscity
Recipes 

I was wondering if the Saccaromyces cereviseae sold in the supermarket are active yeast. Anyone tryed it? couldn't read the whole thread.

Also, could bananas replace malted grain for beta and alpha amylase? Or should I just spit in my Mash? (Apocalyptic cenario, I should malt my own cereal )

Old 06-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #306
Crucial-BBQ
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I know this is an old thread...

...and I know the rules say no cider...

...but...

...apples are in the produce section...

...and in a real "zombi apocalypse" this would be the easiest way to make alcohol...

When I was a young punk rocker hanging out on the streets back in the day some friends and I used to make cider the "old fashioned way".

1. Core 10#s of apples.
2. Slice and dice them how ever you like.
3. Place in five gallon bucket, fill with water.
4. Let sit uncovered for one month.
5. Strain and drink.

The concoction begins to look real funky towards the end but tastes just like cider. Not sure of ABV, though.

Quick Reply