New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > The GaP (Grocery and Produce) Beer Experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #21
Tenchiro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am still unsure of the base i want to use but I am thinking Candied Ginger, Lemon Grass and possibly Orange Peel for the spices.

Also I know you can buy Brewers Yeast in pill form in the vitamin aisle, but are there any live cells in those?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28 View Post
Really? That heavy of a gravity wow! even at 1.040 you could possibly just use that although that would completely defeat the purpose of this little experiment.
Yeah...I'm not talking necessarily about using that as the primary wort...But what about doing a sort of bastardized decoction mash of a dark, oat or barley based breakfast cereal?

Instead of water mashing with that?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #23
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I was thinking along the same lines. Doing a decoction with the goya and whole barley. and water mashing some whole wheat from something.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #24
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116 View Post
whatever you do dont use wormwood for bittering, I tried that once and it tastes like cough syrup. In some asian stores you can get the mold that converts rice starch into sugar for rice wine, is this cheating?
I used wormwood in my current gruit ale I just bottled, as long as you don't add very much and use other bittering herbs as well it works quite well, it turned out more Yarrow flavored than wormwood, made the beer quite intoxicating from the sample I tried when bottling.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 06-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #25
Redweasel

Recipes 

You could always make Pruno. All kiding aside I'm thinking a wheat of some sort. I'm pretty sure there is flaked wheat in the health food section of my store. Could harvest some yeast from one of the hefes they sell. I'm going to have to think about this some more. Maybe orange peel with the pith for bittering.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #26
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Goya sounds kinda like cheating if it's used for the primary barley ingrediant, I don't live in wheat country, so there's no whole barley (at least, not at my local market) Another question on the grocery stores, the closest one to me is this mexican market that's the size of your average supermarket, that has LOTS of strange odds and ends, I think I'll be poking around there quite a bit after finals are over (friday), seeing what whole grains are around that I can malt myself for the enzimes, then probably use malt-o-meal or some other grain cereals in a mash with the malted grains. Due to location I think there's going to be a lot of corn in my finished product.

I think the coolest thing about this project is that if everyone used what's locally grown or available you'd come up with beer that's quite regional, instead of everyone having similar recipe with widely available commercial products, each beer would reflect the geography and culture of each individual's brewing location.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 06-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #27
Arneba28

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post

I think the coolest thing about this project is that if everyone used what's locally grown or available you'd come up with beer that's quite regional, instead of everyone having similar recipe with widely available commercial products, each beer would reflect the geography and culture of each individual's brewing location.
Yes cool thought. My area has alot of wheat but we also have a large muslim population in the area and I was thinking about using cracked wheat, burghul(sp) however its very expensive so I dont know.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #28
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

I wonder if the yeast on the surface of the raisins in raisin bran would be enough to ferment a batch of beer? You could mash the cereal then add the raisins at ptiching time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #29
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I wonder if the yeast on the surface of the raisins in raisin bran would be enough to ferment a batch of beer? You could mash the cereal then add the raisins at ptiching time.
That's an interesting though, what about (and this is kinda a long way to go about it) going to the produce section, grab a bunch of fruits, blend 'em up and let them ferment out in different small carboys with the yeasts on the peels. Decide which one's the best, wash the yeast at the bottom, then pitch it into whatever grain-based wort you're using for your final beer, with/without a starter.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #30
Arneba28

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
That's an interesting though, what about (and this is kinda a long way to go about it) going to the produce section, grab a bunch of fruits, blend 'em up and let them ferment out in different small carboys with the yeasts on the peels. Decide which one's the best, wash the yeast at the bottom, then pitch it into whatever grain-based wort you're using for your final beer, with/without a starter.
That would take quite a while. Natural yeast sometimes can start slowly, and will take a while to drop to the bottom and clarify the must.

Quick Reply