Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > The GaP (Grocery and Produce) Beer Experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
Arneba28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Damn you people. How about we put this bluntly. If it says malt, dont use it. ok to use malted milk balls, powdered malted milk etc etc Just not LME or DME

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #12
Arneba28

Recipes 

Sure that is cheating. Major grocery, no specialty asian or other grocers. Now if your store has an ethnic section like mine does then your ok to use it.

Tenchiro. Official Rules Post Needed I think

Old 06-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you can find malta goya at your grocery store (usually with the other mexican soda pop) a lot of people use that for yeast starters. (I didn't believe it til I googled it awhile back.)

Hmmm...rather than using it for a starter, I wonder if it could be used as a liguid base extract...Maybe boosted with bakers malt extract (like what was shown on the other thread) and maybe some treacle or Lyle's golden syrup....

Hmmm...maybe I will be in on this...(another use for the gathering dust Mr Beer Keg).

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #14
Arneba28

Recipes 

Good idea revvy. I was just looking for that post about that.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #15
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28 View Post
Good idea revvy. I was just looking for that post about that.
If I recall from my reading last winter, it is lightly hopped...

I'll try to dig up the info....

I wonder how much it would take to boil it into a reduction? I never tried it, but I fugure if it's like soda pop it might already be pretty watery...

By the way...I don't know if anyone realizes it but the kind of "Malt" in malted milk or ovaltine is not the same as a malted barley.

From How to brew...

http://Brewer's malt is not Malted M...ate Malts.....

Not that it wouldn't be worth trying ovaltine or malted milk balls, it may be nice as a chololate porter or stout base...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #16
Revvy

Recipes 

Here's the info right from Goya Foods.

Quote:

Malta
Malta Goya - A rich, non-alcoholic, nutritious soft drink, brewed from the finest barley and hops. Both regular and light are available in a wide assortment of sizes.
• Malta Regular
• Malta Light
Some info from the wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malta_(soft_drink)

Old 06-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #17
Arneba28

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
By the way...I don't know if anyone realizes it but the kind of "Malt" in malted milk or ovaltine is not the same as a malted barley.

Not that it wouldn't be worth trying ovaltine or malted milk balls, it may be nice as a chololate porter or stout base...
Yeah I realized that but I dont know that everyone else has.
I would bet that Goya malta has a gravity like 1.012 maybe a little lighter then that. That would be a hell of a reduction to have to make to get that into a range that would actually produce some alcohol

Old 06-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #18
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28 View Post
Yeah I realized that but I dont know that everyone else has.
I would bet that Goya malta has a gravity like 1.012 maybe a little lighter then that. That would be a hell of a reduction to have to make to get that into a range that would actually produce some alcohol
I've seen different specific gravities of Malta Goya on different brewing websites...

THis one says;

Quote:
The drink is a sanitary malt beverage that holds a gravity of about 1.075. I dillute it with distilled water at the rate of 1 12oz bottle to 1 cup of distilled water. This provides you with a starter wort of a 1.040 gravity.
Now I've read elsewhere that it is 1.040...I think the discrepency in gravities is perhaps becasue people don't decant it and let the bubbles die away before they take a reading...

What I can't find anywhere is what the IBU's are...Goya says it is hopped... Probably like 1 or 2 ibus..

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 06-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #19
Spames
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Wheaties and whole corn meal mash!!! Sounds like fun-

Old 06-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #20
Arneba28

Recipes 

Really? That heavy of a gravity wow! even at 1.040 you could possibly just use that although that would completely defeat the purpose of this little experiment.

Quick Reply