*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > The GaP (Grocery and Produce) Beer Experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #121
effigyoffaith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

it is a mold that produces amylase, the enzyme that breaks down the starch. You can find in the form of Koji, the mold grown on rice for the purpose of making sake or other east asian goodies.

Bottled: Oud Bruin, cider, black raspberry mead, Elderberry wine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #122
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So I tried my GaP Strawberry Molasses today and took a reading. SG 1.042, after 6 days its at 1.008. The molasses taste is actually really nice. It will need to age a bit because it tastes watery somewhat. The strawberry is very very subtle. The burnt molasses that I added for bittering worked amazing.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #123
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm following this thread and I just think it's fantastic. I'm also making mental notes for the zombie apocalypse.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #124
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
So it's an enzyme???? How would we get it, just use rice??? More info please.

Well, it's a fungus that naturally grows on rice which produces and enzyme. What I'd try is cook some rice and let it get moldy (until it has a nice sake or rice-wine vinegar smell) then mash it with your wheaties or grapenuts or whatever. I don't know much about fungus, so I don't know how you'd tell if you got asp. oryzae growing or something more sinisiter, other than if it smells bad throw it out!

I came across this while looking for pictures of asp. oryzae on GIS it looks like what you're looking for: http://occultedstructure.blogspot.com/. It's the entry for 26. january 2008, "Unamalted Fungal Outmeal Stout"

Old 07-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #125
paul_h
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Interesting thread. I enjoyed reading the different concoctions and experiments. But my local store sells coopers kits
Though we pay a lot more for packaged beers.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #126
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd View Post
Well, it's a fungus that naturally grows on rice which produces and enzyme. What I'd try is cook some rice and let it get moldy (until it has a nice sake or rice-wine vinegar smell) then mash it with your wheaties or grapenuts or whatever. I don't know much about fungus, so I don't know how you'd tell if you got asp. oryzae growing or something more sinisiter, other than if it smells bad throw it out!

I came across this while looking for pictures of asp. oryzae on GIS it looks like what you're looking for: http://occultedstructure.blogspot.com/. It's the entry for 26. january 2008, "Unamalted Fungal Outmeal Stout"
Wow....it looks like, that expect for the little bit of black malt the he used...THAT would constitute a GAP beer.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-15-2008, 01:13 AM   #127
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i wouldnt have thought Quinoa would be something one would use for a beer. interesting.

so let me get this right. anything in a grocery store but not whole foods/wild oats? well looks like i will have to hit this other grocery store that has more grains but like an albertsons.

also found this

http://byo.com/feature/284.html
http://homebrewinghobby.blogspot.com/ sorry one more as well

Last edited by pen25; 07-15-2008 at 01:24 AM.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #128
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Update time: So I bottled my GaP beer yesterday, came out to 6 12oz hoegaarden bottles and one 22oz, bottled with a bit of cane sugar for priming. The sample from the FG reading looked like this

The taste is pretty good, although way too citris-y, I must have overestimated the amount of orange/lime peel I used for bittering/flavor. I'd still drink it on a hot day, it comes across like a belgian wit version of BL lime or something, interesting for sure. I shall update in 2 weeks or so when it carbs.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 07-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #129
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
Update time: So I bottled my GaP beer yesterday, came out to 6 12oz hoegaarden bottles and one 22oz, bottled with a bit of cane sugar for priming. The sample from the FG reading looked like this

The taste is pretty good, although way too citris-y, I must have overestimated the amount of orange/lime peel I used for bittering/flavor. I'd still drink it on a hot day, it comes across like a belgian wit version of BL lime or something, interesting for sure. I shall update in 2 weeks or so when it carbs.
Oh wow....that looks more appealing than I expected....and sounds like it tastes pretty good.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #130
babbott
Recipes 

i brewed 5gal of wheat beer with the zest of 1 orangw and 1/2 a lime and the lime overpowering, go easy on the lime.

Quick Reply