New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Fruit ipa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #1
netza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Location: mexicali, an hour and a half from san diego, baja california, mexico
Likes Given: 1

Default Fruit ipa

I´d like to try something different with my IPA... I tried some Mikkeller Open Windows Open Hills and I thought I´d use some fruit, maybe some mango or passion fruit. I have no idea how to use fruit with beer, I´d like it to have a subtle fruitness, not something very straight forward.
Which fruit might go well with a west coast IPA and how does it work?
thanks in advance for the tips

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
punkrockdave

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Well I have have used raspberries in a blonde ale, too tart for my taste. I put the berries in the secondary, maybe put too much in. I actually used one less pound than the recipe called for. I am planning a rosemary, basil IPA tomorrow night. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
HollisBT
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Mango would pair nicely with some Amarillo hops.

Apricots also lend a nice subtle flavor to an ipa.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I agree with HolliBT. Mango would definitely work. I've had a commercial example which had 100 lbs. in a ~3 bbl batch! I've done a Peach IPA for some friends' Ph.D. celebration party and used 6 lbs. of peaches in the secondary. I've found that the best way to do it is to let primary finish, then rack on top of some frozen/thawed fruit in another fermentation bucket so that there is enough head space. You can flush the head space with CO2 if you want, but it's probably not necessary. Leave it there for a week or so, then transfer to a carboy for some more aging.

Definitely DO NOT puree the fruit. It will cause the beer to be extremely cloudy (I learned the hard way on that one).

Maybe try mango, apricot, and peaches.... about 1-2 pounds of each would give you a subtle flavor.

Good luck!

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Old 06-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Hop Fruity won Fruit beer at the NHC last year...it used peach and mango.

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/HopFruityNHC2011

Old 06-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
ColumbusAmongus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Shorts does a guava IPA that is pretty good.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
netza
Recipes 

Location: mexicali, an hour and a half from san diego, baja california, mexico
Likes Given: 1

so I guess the consensus is to add them in secondary, or as rcsoccer put it, rack the beer on top of some fruit..
does the fruit need to be disinfected/sterilized? how? the other thing is, does adding fruit in secondary means you have to dry hop after, or can you dry-hop and add fruit at the same time?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
mendesm

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by netza View Post
so I guess the consensus is to add them in secondary, or as rcsoccer put it, rack the beer on top of some fruit..
does the fruit need to be disinfected/sterilized? how? the other thing is, does adding fruit in secondary means you have to dry hop after, or can you dry-hop and add fruit at the same time?
Dry hop last. Hop aromas are very delicate and may fade away, so you want it to be the last thing before you put your beer away (keg/bottle).

Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #9
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
does the fruit need to be disinfected/sterilized? how?
If you get fruit from the freezer section of the grocery store, it should be ok to just thaw it out and rack the beer on top of it. Let it thaw for 4-5 hours on the counter, so that it gets as close to room temp as possible.

If you use fresh fruit, you can wash the cut up fruit briefly in star-san. Just put the fruit in a collander and pour the star-san over the fruit, then freeze it. Freezing helps break down the cell walls of the fruit's flesh. You could also throw some pectic enzyme in a bag with the fruit before putting in the freezer, if you are worried about haziness (I wouldn't worry about it).

Quote:
the other thing is, does adding fruit in secondary means you have to dry hop after, or can you dry-hop and add fruit at the same time?
Definitely dry-hop last. The fruit will suck up all of the hop flavor (I had that happen in my Peach IPA and it wasn't nearly as aromatic as I wanted it).

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Quick Reply