Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Fruit beer experiment: Adding strawberries to chilled beer to avoid dryness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
bigbeergeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default Fruit beer experiment: Adding strawberries to chilled beer to avoid dryness

I've never added fresh fruit to a brew before. Tomorrow I'm going to add 10 lbs of strawberries to my 2ndary, and I'm curious: has anyone ever tried chilling the secondary to 40*F, then pitching the fruit? I'm going to keg this after 10 days, and I don't want to restart fermentation and produce a dry or sour beer as so many other have. I bought fresh strawberries, soaked them (whole) in a light iodophor solution, hulled/sliced them, soaked them in iodophor once more for 60 seconds, let them drain for a moment, transferred them to a large sanitized container, froze the whole 10 lbs, and now it's thawing on the counter. The plan is to add the macerated fruit and juices to my pre-chilled secondary and hold everything at 40*F for 9 days, then keg. Chilling should help slow infection while lessening a full re-fermentation of the batch. I'll follow up with results in about 2 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Interesting. Let us know how it turns out.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 04-13-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
TUCK

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
Interesting. Let us know how it turns out.

Yes ...... do tell <pinky in lower right corner of mouth>

I have been wanting to try this as well, for I remember the good ol days when we would enjoy Strawberry Blonde from Pete's Wicked Pale Ale.

I might have missed a recipe somewhere but if not .... What was the ratio used in your recipe?

Old 04-13-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCK View Post
Yes ...... do tell <pinky in lower right corner of mouth>

I have been wanting to try this as well, for I remember the good ol days when we would enjoy Strawberry Blonde from Pete's Wicked Pale Ale.

I might have missed a recipe somewhere but if not .... What was the ratio used in your recipe?
Good question! It's going to be a simple strawberry American wheat beer to satisfy the female thirst at our up-and-coming (first) baby shower... meanwhile the men-folk will be sippin' on a keg of an all-nugget pale ale I brewed around the same time. Here's the recipe:

(5.5 gallons)
3.5 lb. American 2-row
4 lb. Wheat malt
.6 lb. American crystal 20L
16 IBUs of Cascade hops at 60 minutes
10 lbs strawberries, as described above

I promise to post tasting notes soon after the shower (April 24th)!

Old 04-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
TUCK

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
Good question! It's going to be a simple strawberry American wheat beer to satisfy the female thirst at our up-and-coming (first) baby shower... meanwhile the men-folk will be sippin' on a keg of an all-nugget pale ale I brewed around the same time. Here's the recipe:

(5.5 gallons)
3.5 lb. American 2-row
4 lb. Wheat malt
.6 lb. American crystal 20L
16 IBUs of Cascade hops at 60 minutes
10 lbs strawberries, as described above

I promise to post tasting notes soon after the shower (April 24th)!
Awsome thanks man!! BTW... Congrads ..... in fact I ahve my first baby shower as well.

Just hope your mommy to be is not sipping on any brew (LOL.. I am sure she is not). I know my wife is so mad that she can't try any of my recent brews....or drink any wine. but well worth the wait for both of our mothers to be none the less.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Selin's Grove uses "cold" fruit additions to make some very well regarded beers. IIRC they use juice and add it right at kegging, much easier to deal with than whole fruit at that stage. I really do like whole/fresh/ripe fruit, but juice certainly would be easy.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 04-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I don't think it will work very well to prevent refermentation.

I haven't had any problems with infections from fresh/frozen strawberries, but once the beer warms up a bit you will get more fermentation from the added sugars. You could put campden tabs in there or pasteurize the beer or do something else to kill off the yeast completely, THEN add the strawberries, and then force carb. But if there's yeast in there, they will find and eat the sugar.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
DrJekyll-HomeBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I would maybe consider steeping the strawberries in a hot water bath, adding some carbonate(baking soda), and then some lactose i think that would give some flavor. have you every noticed off flavors of soaking the strawberries in a cleaning solution?

Been brewing since 2007 and my knowledge is ever growing.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Well the cold infusion was a grand success. The 10 lbs of strawberries lent the beer the freshest strawberry nose I've ever beheld in a brew... smelled like a basket of fresh strawberries from a farmer's market. Taste was equally fresh and juicy -- I've never tried heat pasteurized fruit or extracts in my own brewing, so I don't have a comparison to make in that way, but I can assure that the cold extraction captured the flavor and aroma of fresh strawberries. I kept the beer at 35*F until the morning I was to serve it, then it drifted up to around 40-45 as it was quickly consumed. I didn't detect the dryness or sourness I've heard others complain about, so I'd guess re-fermentation was well halted. There was no iodophor in the aroma or taste, no surprise there.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #10
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJekyll-HomeBrew View Post
I would maybe consider steeping the strawberries in a hot water bath, adding some carbonate(baking soda), and then some lactose i think that would give some flavor. have you every noticed off flavors of soaking the strawberries in a cleaning solution?
(only soaked them for two 60 second intervals, before and after slicing)

Tags
chilled, fruit, secondary, strawberries, strawberry

Quick Reply