Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Freshops Rant / leftover hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 04:39 AM   #1
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Freshops Rant / leftover hops

I just got around to buying some foodsaver bags so i could divide up some of the bigger bags i got from freshops.com in the fall. most of the bags are right on weight, or a couple grams over, but 2 of the bags have been short by a whole half ounce. it really pissed me off, especially considering that during the same time period folks were reporting getting orders from hopsdirect that were 50% or even 100% bigger than what they'd ordered. in retrospect i suppose it was foolish for hopsdirect to be so loose with there measurements, but i'd at least expect my hops to weigh what i ordered. freshops has definitely turned me off as a customer, but i'm not sure that matters in the long run given the state of the market.

as for the bags that were a gram or 2 over, i've been putting the scraps all together in a ziplock and writing the contents with weight and AA%. question is what to do with this? my options so far are to either use it to dry hop, or to use it as a bittering addition. i'm leaning toward bittering, just because i think the 8-9 different varieties will end being a little muddy tasting as a dry hop, and a lot of the varieties are high AA%, so i think i'll get the most bang. i'm curious as to what ya'll think about the best use for these leftovers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2008, 04:42 AM   #2
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Personaly, I dont look a gift horse in the mouth... Anywhere I am able to pick up a pound of hops for $2 an oz nowadays is ok with me... even if I am a gram or two short...

(not to hijack the thread) Of course If anyone knows of a better place to get hops right now, please let me know...

Old 03-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 946 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Unless you have a calibration weight for your scale, I don't think I'd be raising a fuss over a half ounce.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

... even if you did.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 946 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Well that too. Just keep in mind that if your scale reads .05 ounce low, for the first 15 oz, you were bagging 1.05 ounces in each bag for a total of 15.75 ounces. Anyway, 5 hundredths of an ounce is likely within tolerance for the scale, especially if it has a max range into 10+ pounds.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

The only real problem is if you are bagging oz of its cousin....

And Im not there doing QC

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 03-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The overage of a few grams, cool!

The missing of half an ounce, however, I would be pissed about. If it was a box of cereal or something, not so much. However in brewing the difference between an ounce of hops and half an ounce of hops is the difference between one recipe and another.

Getting a good per-ounce price on hops is great, but so is getting the product that was advertised and paid for.

That assumes, for a moment, that you're sure your scale is accurate.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 03-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

what's with all the scale talk? it's a digital scale that measures to 1/10 gram. what a silly comment to make, "if my scale is accurate". kevin dean is right, half of an ounce is a lot given the scale of our recipes. yes, i bought these hops months ago before prices went crazy; so?! half an ounce missing from a 4oz bag is 12.5%. who wants to give up 12.5% of their paycheck? how about buying a gallon of milk with a pint already missing? i don't care that i didn't get a huge overweight bag of hops like the folks ordering from hopsdirect, i do care when i don't get what i paid for.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #9
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you're that fired up about it then call them and let them know that they shorted you 1/2 oz.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 579 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 210

FWIW - Ordered three 1-pound packages of Summit, Sterling and Willamette a few weeks ago.

All were just a spot over 16Oz.

I like Freshops.com

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply