Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Fresh/wet hopped beer ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #21
Unferth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I figured I'd update this sice I brewed the beer.

I followed the above recipe, except I ended up with 56 oz of cascade!

I divided it by 6 (9.3) and added each division at 20, 15,10, 5, 0, and I'm going to dry hop in a week.

It's gonna be a fresh hoppy mofo!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #22
funnycreature
Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
I figured I'd update this sice I brewed the beer.

I followed the above recipe, except I ended up with 56 oz of cascade!

I divided it by 6 (9.3) and added each division at 20, 15,10, 5, 0, and I'm going to dry hop in a week.

It's gonna be a fresh hoppy mofo!
NICE! I have to admit that I'm pretty envious since I not even got 1/10th of that

Check out my wife's etsy store where she offers soaps made with my beer!

Old 08-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #23
Unferth
Recipes 

Don't feel too bad. My hop vines were destroyed when we went on vacation. I bought these from the local farm at $0.50 an oz.

I'm keeping the last batch of hops in the fridge bc somebody said that freezing them would make them sweat or do some other unfavorable thing to them.

They look like they are wilting in there though... Any suggestions?

Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #24
funnycreature

Recipes 

Going to cold-crash my APA today when I get home! Can't wait to taste it after a second dry hop with 0.5 oz of Falconer's Flight This weekend might be bottling time!!

Old 09-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #25
dhutchings
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I ended up getting 7.3 oz out of my plant. My initial thought that they were Cascade seems to be off. When the cones matured more, at harvesting time (Last Friday) they had a strong Pine and Citrus smell so maybe Chinook? I dunno.

At any rate, I did my brew last Friday - bittered with 2 oz of pellet Cascade and put all 7.3 oz of fresh hops in with 15 minutes left in the boil. It's been happily fermenting from then until Wednesday. Fermentation temperature was a little high and there was a bit of Strawberry aroma in the first couple of days but that settled out and it smells like beer now

I gave a quick post-ferment taste this morning and it smells and tastes good to me. There's good bittering, and from the Fresh hops there isn't much of a pine taste to it, but that citrus/grapefruit aroma and taste really came through. I'm going to let it sit for another week and then bottle.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #26
Unferth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnycreature View Post
Going to cold-crash my APA today when I get home! Can't wait to taste it after a second dry hop with 0.5 oz of Falconer's Flight This weekend might be bottling time!!
That's awesome, dude, give some tasting notes if you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutchings View Post
I gave a quick post-ferment taste this morning and it smells and tastes good to me. There's good bittering, and from the Fresh hops there isn't much of a pine taste to it, but that citrus/grapefruit aroma and taste really came through. I'm going to let it sit for another week and then bottle.
that's interesting you should describe it as more grapefruity.

I racked mine over to dry hop it on Monday, and tasted it then. Mine was with 2 oz of pellet magnums at 60m and 9.35 oz of fresh cascade at 20, 15, 10, 5 and 0. So I am definitely getting the taste and smell of fresh hops.

There is a discernible difference in taste, but I'm not sure how to describe it. more earthy? it has a grapefruity tinge to it, but so does the dry cascade. maybe its different though?

I don't have a refined pallet, though. maybe if I knew what I was tasting for, I could find it. Any BCMJ judges out there? what differences should I notice with my fresh hopped beer?

Old 09-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #27
funnycreature

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
That's awesome, dude, give some tasting notes if you can!
Will do! But expect something along the lines "good, lots of hops aroma, sweet" and not anything more refined

My sample yesterday tasted really good btw - lots of malty sweetness and subtle hops flavor/aroma. I'm sure that cold and carbonated it will be a solid APA ... It's me against my arch nemesis: TIME!

Old 09-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #28
ScottWa
Recipes 

So I'll be brewing my fresh hop beer tomorrow and just have a couple questions. First here's my recipe and I'd appreciate any thoughts on it. I am roughly following the Russian River fresh hop recipe that I found a recipe for and decided to do the entire beer with fresh whole hops as that recipe does. I do realize that this recipe is a 10 gal & I am using roughly the quantity of hops. Here's the link to the recipe:

http://www.musiccitybrewers.com/docs/hoptime.pdf

13# total grains for 5 gallon batch. I have 10 gallon insulated cooler mash tun, 5 gallon hot liquor tank, & 15.5 gallon brew pot. I'd like to have 5 gallons total bottling volume so I am assuming I'll need to have somewhere in the area of 7-7.5 gallons pre-boil volume.

5.72# 2-row
5.72# Maris Otter
.65# C-40
.65# Carapils
.26# Vienna

Hops - all freshly picked (bagged & frozen for a few days) Centennial

16oz x 60-90 minutes - haven't decided how long I'll boil
12oz x 30min
5oz x 15min
5oz x 10min
5oz x 5min
5oz x 0min

I may dry hop with a few oz of some of the Cents that I dried as well.

I know most say to use a general bittering hop but I decided I wanted the entire beer to be made all fresh whole hops.

I'll probably mash will 5 gal and batch sparge with 5 gal as well as I have recently had problems with low final volume and I will stop the runoff when I get to the 7-7.5 gal mark in my brew kettle.

Also, does anyone know how to get Beer Smith 2 to recognize fresh hop use as opposed to processed dried leafs? My IBUs for this beer in the program comes out to around 950 which I know is not right.

Thoughts??????????

Old 09-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #29
funnycreature

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWa View Post
Also, does anyone know how to get Beer Smith 2 to recognize fresh hop use as opposed to processed dried leafs? My IBUs for this beer in the program comes out to around 950 which I know is not right.

Thoughts??????????
I can help you with this part - simply divide the weight of hops by a factor of 5-8 (whatever you choose) and enter that. That's how I did it. I also adjusted the %AA in my wet hop to the middle of the range. Hope that helps and happy brewing!

Old 09-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #30
ScottWa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnycreature View Post
I can help you with this part - simply divide the weight of hops by a factor of 5-8 (whatever you choose) and enter that. That's how I did it. I also adjusted the %AA in my wet hop to the middle of the range. Hope that helps and happy brewing!
Sweet, thanks! Done! I divided all of my hop weights by 6 as I have heard 5-6 is the range most people seem to use. I may play around with 7-8 and see what the numbers come out as. With using 6 my IBUs are still listed at 160 so I know I'll need to play around with those a bit. I even knew to do that just wasn't smart enough to problem solve that on my own I guess

Quick Reply