Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Fresh Red Peppercorn beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
Andynewbom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fresh Red Peppercorn beer

Well some of the benefits of starting a microbrewery and home brewing in central america and El Salvador is that we get some way cool ingredients.

At a local organic produce store this week I found a jar of FRESH red ripe peppercorns. (technically not a true peppercorn but still fresh and sweet!) The kind they make regular black pepper out of but these are red and ripe and still juicy. The flavor is absolutely radical! sweet, spicy, fruity and effervescent.

So of course we have to brew a beer with them. after much study we decided to brew a nice american amber ale with a bit of belgian influence by adding some Belgian Special B and american special roast barley for some nice raisin notes and sweetness. Medium hops and bitters in the 25-30 range with a bit more flavor hops.

we will split the batch into two fermenters and use two yeasts (dry cause thats all we can have here) the Safale 58 peppery Belgian trappist and the Safale 33 belgian/english fruity yeast. then we will dry hop with the fresh red peppercorns.

pretty excited.

Brewing a Craft Beer Revolution in Central America

Last edited by Andynewbom; 11-06-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
The_Professor
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

I've added Long Pepper and Grains of Paradise to a mead.

I'll be interested to hear how the flavor is from the fresh peppercorn addition.

Brewing since '08
1-88) - Gone
89) Mr. Beer Northwest Pale Ale - conditioning

Old 11-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I had a pink peppercorn sasion that was quite good. I'd be very interested in a beer made with the fresh stuff.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Quick Reply