Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Franziskaner Hefe-weisse Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #21
Jsmith82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I have to say, it's a great wheat beer - my review is based strictly judging this as a clone.

Let's start with color, it pours a very brilliant warm yellow, a slight hint of orange tint. It's pretty close however I kegged my batch, it's missing the "cloudy swirl and pour" that you are supposed to do when you open a bottle of Franz since there is yeast sediment in their bottles (open beer, pour all but 1 inch, swirl remaining 1 inch to get the yeast off the bottom of the bottle, pour remaining inch into glass and watch the cloud explode into your beer). Without this cloudy yeasty addition to the pint, I think it may be why my color is a little lighter. It still pours hazy though the comparison shows an obvious difference in clarity.

I am also thinking without the yeasty swirl, this is where I'm missing a little bit of nose. The clone has a great maltly scent to it, the beer is definitely what I would call a "sniffer" haha. However, the cloves are faint, the malt is faint, and it doesn't really saturate your sense of smell like the original. Again, I'm in a keg, not a lot of additional yeast or trub was transferred so it's a lot cleaner. I also let my clone sit a little longer than expected so some of this could easily be blamed on the wait as in my own opinion, wheat beer should be consumed at a young age.

Flavor is the same as my other comparisons above, a little weaker than expected but still very good and has that Franz flavor. I'll again blame age and the keg, let it sit, no yeast swirl, the elements that make an unfiltered wheat a dirty banana clove bomb are slim. The hops however feel right smack on the nose.

So all in all, this is a great wheat beer. I think consumed at a younger age, a lot of the elements that make a Franz what it is would be more present, also perhaps not kegging and bottle conditioning would actually help the flavor tremendously.

6-7 out of 10 for this batch. You're definitely in for a good batch of wheat regardless.

If I find the time I'll take a video and do a side by side.

Changes I will make next time I brew / recommended tips if you decide to brew:

1. 3 weeks in the bucket, then bottle. Go young (take consecutive measurements to be sure your fermentation is done though lol, durr)
2. Skip the keg unless you're needing beer on the fly, I recommend you bottle this the old fashioned way. 5oz corn sugar to 5 gallons beer (or 3/4 cup)
3. Definitely follow the "pour, stop, swirl, finish pour" method. Get that sediment into your beer.

I'll post back next time I brew this and how the changes affected the flavor, nose, and color.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #22
Tarks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I just placed an order for ingredients so I can brew this. Thanks to Jsmith82 for posting the recipe. I am a big fan of Franziskaner and excited to see how this compares. Cheers!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #23
Tarks
Recipes 

What fermentation temp and length did you go at? I think you said 3 weeks? Cheers!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #24
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarks View Post
What fermentation temp and length did you go at? I think you said 3 weeks? Cheers!
73-75 degrees F is my next temp goal.

This yeast strain has a window of 64-75 however I think taking to the upper level of this window will produce more esters familiar with this style of beer.

As for time frame, again my own plan is to bottle after 3 weeks in the bucket provided back to back to back gravity readings show fermentation has subsided. I'm a firm believer that wheat beers taste their best at a young age and my first batch of this, well I ended up having everything you can think of in life thrown at me at once - needless to say this was months late getting into the keg so I lost a lot during that "wait".

I will say this, once in the keg it didn't even last a week. It's a good beer.

Edit: I do recommend carbing this up the old fashioned way if you're a kegger. From a tap you miss the yeast "swirl and dump" that you get from a bottle conditioned unfiltered wheat. 3/4 cup corn sugar added to 2 cups boiled/ing water, stir well, dump in bucket, rack your beer directly on top of the sugar solution, bottle it up.

Post back your results if you don't mind, good luck!

Also (because I'm not trying to steal thunder), I didn't develop this recipe - found it on the internet however I figured no hurt in posting it here on HBT. If the taste of the clone is not close enough, this is definitely the community that will move it in the right direction. Cheers!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #25
Tarks
Recipes 

Good stuff! Thanks.

I plan on brewing this in a few weeks, and I will post up the results. I agree with you on bottling this style, which I will do.

Cheers!

Old 07-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #26
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith82 View Post
73-75 degrees F is my next temp goal.

This yeast strain has a window of 64-75 however I think taking to the upper level of this window will produce more esters familiar with this style of beer.

As for time frame, again my own plan is to bottle after 3 weeks in the bucket provided back to back to back gravity readings show fermentation has subsided. I'm a firm believer that wheat beers taste their best at a young age and my first batch of this, well I ended up having everything you can think of in life thrown at me at once - needless to say this was months late getting into the keg so I lost a lot during that "wait".

I will say this, once in the keg it didn't even last a week. It's a good beer.

Edit: I do recommend carbing this up the old fashioned way if you're a kegger. From a tap you miss the yeast "swirl and dump" that you get from a bottle conditioned unfiltered wheat. 3/4 cup corn sugar added to 2 cups boiled/ing water, stir well, dump in bucket, rack your beer directly on top of the sugar solution, bottle it up.

Post back your results if you don't mind, good luck!

Also (because I'm not trying to steal thunder), I didn't develop this recipe - found it on the internet however I figured no hurt in posting it here on HBT. If the taste of the clone is not close enough, this is definitely the community that will move it in the right direction. Cheers!
Nice to hear you think the 73-75F range would be great for fermenting this beer, as that is where my fermenting room (laundry/furnace room) has been sitting steady at for the last month.

I am building a fermenting chamber to control temps better, but looks like I could go ahead and brew my Franzi clone as soon as I get some time to...

Kegged: Galaxy/Vienna SMaSH Pale Ale
Kegged: Prohibition Lager
Kegged: Ricks Red Ale
Kegged: Wheat
Bottled: LH Milk Stout Clone
Primary 1: Biermunchers Centennial Blonde
On Deck: Milk Stout, SNPA clone, maybe a pale ale so I can use my homegrown hops to dry hop.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #27
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisbliss
Jsmith, did you do this as a BIAB?
No, regular all grain brewing - mashed, sparged, boiled

Old 08-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #28
Tarks
Recipes 

I finally got around to brewing this up yesterday. I came up short by 4 points on my OG. I ended up with 1.048 so my abv might be a tad lower in the end. I'm really looking forward to tasting this in a few weeks.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #29
Tarks
Recipes 

Update. I bottled after 23 days in primary, carbed up to 2.8 volumes and conditioned for 4 weeks before I tried it. OMG, this beer is so friggen good. Great mouth feel and just enough banana that it doesn't overwhelm you. It's been a while since I have had a Franziskaner so I'm not sure how close this came as a clone. But it doesn't matter, I love it and will brew this again without doubt. Thanks again Jsmith82! Cheers.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #30
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1941 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

I've always tasted very little clove/banana in Franziskaner weissebier. Always struck me as being brewed a bit cleaner than a hefeweisen,which are more floral/nectary. Good stuff,gotta try this sometime.

Quick Reply