Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Framboise

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
Yet41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Framboise

Hey everyone! I was interested in trying to make a Framboise. I've never made one before, but I found a simple recipe online that I thought I could try. Here's what I got:

6-7 pounds light malt extract
1/4 pound crystal malt
2-1/2 cups raspberry puree (added to primary)
1 ounce boiling hops (Hallertauer, Saaz, Tettnanger)
10 cups raspberry puree (added to secondary)
yeast

This recipe makes 5 gallons. It seems simple enough. Is there anything else someone could recommend I add or change?

I don't really know much about hops; is it really important that I use one of those three, or can substitute something else and still be ok? For yeast, I was going to use some Windsor brewing yeast since I just happen to have some sitting around.

Also, since I'm using fruit, would it be beneficial to use pectic enzyme?

Thanks a lot!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
magno

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I dont think that would classify as a framboise, although it may make quality beer.

Framboise is a lambic, which should be made with a large part wheat and fermented with yeast and bacteria found naturally in Belgium (but sold by White Labs and probably by Wyeast too). Lambics should be made with hops that have been aged to reduce their bitterness. They take quite a while to age properly. In short, they can be a pain to make, although I am researching it now.

It looks like if you substituted wheat LME for the Pale you would have the ingredients for an American raspberry wheat beer. Also I would add all the puree to secondary. Since a wheat can be cloudy, I wouldnt worry about pectic enzyme.

- magno

Primary: Barley Wine

Secondary: Red Ale, Pale Ale

Conditioning:

Drinking: Brown Ale, 75 min. IPA, Oatmeal Stout, Poor Richard's Ale, Chocolate Cherry Stout

Old 08-26-2007, 12:32 AM   #3
Yet41
Recipes 

Yep, thanks Magno. You can tell I have no idea what I'm doing

I've been looking at more recipes for framboise, and this one seems way too simple. Wyeast seems to make specific kinds of yeast for this.

I'm going to keep reading up on this. I'd love to make one of these babies. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:07 AM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Be careful, the true lambic cultures have 'bugs' in them that are considered contamination in most other beers. You will have to be very careful not to spread them (different hoses, etc.).

They are aged and usually blended, a one, two, and three year old batch blended together. I believe the are aged in oak barrels.

It is a large undertaking for a homebrewer. The more I learn about lambics and other sour beers the less the price of a bottle astonishes me.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:12 AM   #5
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My advise is to ferment it most of the way with some belgian yeast strain, like a wit strain(wlp400) or something, and then add one of the 'lambic' cultures( wyeast lambic blend, roeselare blend, whitelabs brett stains, etc.) I think you get better control that way - I've tried both. The roeselare has a 'normal yeast' in the blend I believe to do most of the work fermenting. Only a few places like Russian River use brett to do 100% of the fermentation. Also I don't like buckets for sour beers, too much oxegen and critters let in and harder to clean possibly after your done, I only use glass now for sour beers. Lastly, once the 'wild' yeast are added be extra cautious they don't get into other beers. I keep them seperate, and clean things extra well when they contact these critters. Other than that my advise is to just do it, no substitute for personal experience. I think this style is definitely worth the effort. Oh, and if you're using raspberries they are definitely going to add to the sourness/tartness.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

"Framboise" is just french for "raspberry".

It may not qualify as a Lambic, but it's certainly Framboise.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
Bosh
Recipes 

Well in Korea there's a kind of sour unfiltered rice wine called makkoli.

My most recent batch of beer got infected and it tastes like a cross between regular beer and makkoli. I like makkoli so I'll drink this stuff as is, but I'm wondering how long I'd have to age it before the sourness moderates significantly. Anyone know?

On deck: Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Bourbon Red Ale
Bottled: Dunkelweizen and Dunkel

Old 08-27-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
PsiWulf7
Recipes 

This is kind of cheating, but we tried sort of fake aging our hops when we made a lambic a few years ago. We put the oven on around 200, and left the hops in for a day or so. Good luck

Quick Reply