New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > founders red's rye ipa clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #101
jimlin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Found some Founder's RyePA this weekend and had a few. Definitely much firmer biterness bite, more hop aroma,and deeper red than my attempt. That said, I don't know that I will change my recipe other than to add some gypsum to the boil. My rye IPA was smoother and still had much of the rye and amarillo in the taste that made me want to attempt to brew something like the Founders beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #102
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Just hand on and also have about 90% of the brewing cloning bill and hops here at the house.. going into the carboys this week.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 07-12-2012, 04:35 AM   #103
mttfrog13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyphilosophy View Post
Hey guys. I was hoping to make an extract version of the recipe back in reply #23. Here is my conversion as it stands. Let me know if you guys have any input or corrections. Thanks!
Here's the extract version I'm going to try in 2 weeks when my Uinta Wyld clone is out of my primary.

Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

Grain
.5lb Carapils
.25lb Aromatic

Malt
9lbs NB Rye LME

Hops
1oz Perle @ 60
1oz Amirillo @30
1oz Amarillo @ 15
1oz Amarillo @ 0
1oz Amarillo dry hop last 7 days in secondary

I do a 3 gallon boil topped off in the fermenter. The rye lme is 20% rye and 10% caramel 40L. This will only be my 2nd 5 gallon batch brew, after using mr beer for about 6 months and 6 batches.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #104
mttfrog13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by decktard View Post
I usually do all grain but from what I remember you can't just steep rye malt unless you plan on doing a mini mash with that stuff... I think.

I did recently do an extract batch of a different recipe with Northern Brewer's Rye extract - http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/northern-brewer-rye-malt-syrup.html
Yeah I've read a lot of back and forth about whether you can steep malts like flaked rye and flaked wheat. Midwest supplies has some extract kits that include some flaked rye, basically encouraging their customers to steep flaked rye. All the reviews on it sound great. From what I've read it sounds like by steeping flaked rye, you can get flavor and body, but the negatives are that it can put things in the beer that may create off tastes or interfere with fermentation.

I did some tweaking to my extract recipe to get the Rye ratio down and the carapils up. Bad news is that this batch is being delayed by about a month while I brew a pumpkin ale. Also, I'm only just realizing that aromatic is a mash only grain so I converted it to a partial mash, which will be a first for me.

Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

Mash
2.5lbs 2-Row
1lb Carapils
.75lb Crystal 80
.5lb Aromatic

Malt Extract
6lbs NB Rye LME
1lbs Light DME

Hops
.5oz Perle @ 60
.5oz Perle @ 45
1.5oz Amirillo @35
1.5oz Amarillo @ 15
2oz Amarillo dry hop last 5 days in secondary

Old 08-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #105
mttfrog13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

double post

Old 10-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #106
jimlin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

rebrewed this recently (just bottled it last weekend). My first attempt went over very well, but like i explained, was not a clone of Founders' beer. Lacked the strong flavor and bite. Very drinkable though, and probably my best brew to date.

So this time I increased the rye malt from 2.0 to 2.5 lbs. I also used gypsum in the boil which I hadn't before. Plus, I mixed in some columbus in the flavor and aroma doses. Went with Chinook to bitter rather than the NBrewer I used last time. Again, not so much to clone Founders, but to see if I could give this one a bit more oomph in the flavor.

One week in primary, a week in secondary with dry hops (1 oz amarllo, 0.5 oz columbus) then cold crashed about 3 days at 40°. Removed from fridge but didn't bottle for a few more days. When I took the gravity sample prior to bottling it was unchanged from my previous sample (1.014). This gives me about a 6.4% beer. Previous attempt was 70 IBUs (rager) in my app, but this one was 80. I tasted the final gravity sample and it was noticeably bitter. First brew was very balanced, with a lot of aroma and flavor from all late amarillo hops. This time I wanted more bitterness and bite. Might have gone overboard, but won't know for a couple more weeks I suppose. Probably could have stayed with the same calculated IBUs as the 1st batch, but just relied on the gypsum to make it pop more.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #107
BgThang
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Texas is finally getting founders next week. w00t! After brewing this batch (post 86) Everyone that tried it was blown away by the beer. The first 5 gallons went quick the second 5 gallon even quicker. Word of warning though. Amarillo hops trails off after about a month. this beer is best drank in the first 30 days.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #108
jimlin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgThang
Texas is finally getting founders next week. w00t! After brewing this batch (post 86) Everyone that tried it was blown away by the beer. The first 5 gallons went quick the second 5 gallon even quicker. Word of warning though. Amarillo hops trails off after about a month. this beer is best drank in the first 30 days.
And founders just announced no more bottled Reds RyePA due to lack of shelf life. Still kegs though

Old 03-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #109
thisoneguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlin View Post

And founders just announced no more bottled Reds RyePA due to lack of shelf life. Still kegs though
I thought I saw that they would be seasonal 4 packs... did that change?

Old 03-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #110
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 411

Just transfered this to a keg, didnt look very red to me! How has the color been coming out to you guys? Will pour one in a week or so and take a pic.

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Quick Reply