I ended up backing off the rye a tiny bit, using 2 lb, not 2.5
I underestimated my boil-off in the last couple batches resulting in a slightly higher OG, hence backing off the rye. Actually hit the numbers pretty well this time: estimated preboil and OG was 1.046 and 1.061 respectively. I got 1.046 and 1.060.
Mashed at 155. I seem to finish dryer than the calculations estimate on every batch, so tried to offset this a bit with the higher temp.
5 gal strike water; assumed 2 gal loss to grain absorption; added 1 gal at 170° to mash out (rectangular cooler tun, Denny Conn's batch sparging method). 1st runnings gave me the 4 gal I was hoping for. Batch sparged another 4 gal to collect my 8 gal. (went for 8 gallons because of the higher boil off results I've gotten in the winter months). Problem is... my SS boil pot, which was advertised (overstock.com) as 36 qt is truly only 32, as my 8 gallons would have almost overflowed. Left a little bit out. (up until now, I hadn't actually measured the volume of the pot and had always assumed it was the 9 gal)
There was a lot of break material and/or hop matter (4 oz of pellets in the boil, all loose). I'm going to end up with under 5 gal in the end, but so be it. I only transferred over 5 gallons (not 5.5) because of how much "stuff" was in the bottom of the pot. My carboy is 6 gal, not 6.5, so this may be for the best anyways. (Have used the buckets with lots of headroom for primaries for all previous batches)
Going to pick up a 5 gal better bottle this weekend to use as a secondary when I dry hop this with the 2 oz of amarillo.
Used dry yeast for the first time in a year (my ill-fated MrBeer brews and my one pre-hopped extract amber brew were all dry yeast, and then I switched to full boils and liquid yeast with starters last summer). Pitched s-05 after the carboy was down to 65° (cold basement floor got it down after I had used the immersion chiller to get to the upper 70s) and attached my fermwrap and Johnson controller. Got a big blow off tube jammed into the neck of the carboy and out to a bucket of star-san solution. Hoping it kicks into gear while at work today and I go home to find it bubbled away.