Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > founders red's rye ipa clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default founders red's rye ipa clone

EDIT for disclaimer: This is a first attempt at cloning red's rye -- it is not a tried-and-true recipe.

I want to try to clone Founders' Red's Rye IPA, so I emailed them about the recipe and got this response:

Quote:
...Grist is 2/3 domestic 2 row. Lots of Cpils, some aromatic malt, some medium and dark crystal and of course some rye malt. The og should be around 15.5 plato and hop it to about 70 ibus with Perle and Amarillo. Ferment with a clean neutral strain and dryhop profusely just before terminal with Amarillo. Give it at least 4 days on the dryhop. Rack to secondary at cold and let sit cold for a week or so. Viola delicious hoppy Red’s Rye...
Given that, what do you think about this recipe:

8# US 2-row (66%)
2# US rye malt (17%)
12oz crystal 80 (6%)
8oz crystal 40 (4%)
8oz carapils (4%)
4oz# aromatic (2%)

should be around 14 SRM, OG=1.064 @ 75% mash eff.

1 oz perle @ XX for 70 IBU
1 oz amarillo at 20, 10, 5, 0
2 oz amarillo at DH

WY1056, ferment 68-69F

Any comments/suggestions?

Last edited by mb2696; 04-01-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Looks good to me from that pretty crappy discription they gave you. At least they gave you the hops...that's usually the tough part. I would have liked a fermentation temp too.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 12-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
cercueil
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I really like this beer and just had one last night. It's like drinking a grapefruit and then getting that nice bite of rye flavor when you swallow. Please let me know how this comes out. I would definitely be interested in making it.

Up Next
Oaked IPA?

Old 12-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
HickoryMike
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Was this recipe ever made? This beer is incredible and I want to try a clone recipe.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I love this beer, and I think the brewer did a good job giving you the info. He could of been like some other A-holes and not even responded to your email. To call it a crappy response I Disagree 100%

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/
People Like This 
Old 12-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickoryMike View Post
Was this recipe ever made? This beer is incredible and I want to try a clone recipe.
no, i haven't made it yet, but will pretty soon. i will definitely post back on how it turns out, especially compared to the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-boy View Post
I love this beer, and I think the brewer did a good job giving you the info. He could of been like some other A-holes and not even responded to your email. To call it a crappy response I Disagree 100%
and yea, it would have been nice to have more info, but like you said brewboy, at least he gave what he did

i saw another guy working on a clone here...

http://blog.flaminio.net/blogs/index...ng-aamp-recipe

but I didn't see anywhere to contact him, and his blog seems inactive since about march. his is pretty similar although he has caramunich and 120L instead of 80L as well. his is a bit darker at 17 SRM. i don't have any around to judge the actual color. any thoughts? this is a good excuse for me to pick some up though.

the founder's website does say that it has "four varieties of imported Belgian caramel malts" so i'm not sure if they are counting carapils and/or aromatic as caramel malts, or if caramunich is in there as well. what do you think?

he also claims that they told him to ferment a little warmer than his guess of 67, so i'll probably try to hold 68-69

Old 12-17-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am really interested in this... what an awesome beer.

- JVD_X

Old 12-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

At one time I was working on a red's rye recipe but never followed through with it. I did however save some info that I had come across. Here's a couple of snippets from a thread on beeradvocate (that may or may not help):

Quote:
I emailed them about 1.5 yrs ago and they told me columbus for bitter (which doesn't matter much) and amarillo and cascade for flavor and smell. Then they said they used something like 4 or 5 different malts like 1 crystal and 3 belgian. Try emailing them and they may at least give you the grains they use. It can't hurt.
Quote:
I did email them, but didn't get a response in time for brew day, but did eventually hear from them. Here is the email:

Go with about 12% rye malt, Carmel and pale malts mostly. Thanks for the support hopefully this give a bit of direction.

Take care,
Mike Stevens | President
Founders Brewing Company

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Fermentation Chamber | Concrete-Roller Mill | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet | Pneumatic Bottle Capper
Resources: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 12-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
At one time I was working on a red's rye recipe but never followed through with it. I did however save some info that I had come across. Here's a couple of snippets from a thread on beeradvocate (that may or may not help):
Cool thanks for the help...I think I will tone down the rye then. Their website does say that they use 4 belgian caramel malts. Also I'm not too sure about the color, but I picked up a single so I'll try to use that to estimate the color tonight.

I will definitely do this soon and let everyone know how it turns out and how it compares.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2696 View Post
I want to try to clone Founders' Red's Rye IPA, so I emailed them about the recipe....
Quick question, who did you email? was it just info@... off the website or was it someone directly? I would like to email them about a different beer and I wondered who gave you the info you got.

Thanks

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Fermentation Chamber | Concrete-Roller Mill | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet | Pneumatic Bottle Capper
Resources: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Quick Reply