Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Founders Oatmeal Chocolate/coffee stout..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 02:22 AM   #21
RC0032
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I moved it to a secondary today and only have 3.75 gals and the biggest mess ever cleaning the carboy Almost 2 gals of trub

Not sure I will be doing this one again

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #22
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Anybody else put this recipe into a brewing program? I'm only getting ~50 IBUs. Also, the real thing is 8.3%...why would they share a recipe that's 7.5%? The all grain version is based on 66% efficiency if you use the grain they suggest. Their website also shows 25 IBUs, not 60.

Next: Munich Helles v4
Fermenting: Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Mitis Saxon (brewed @ Earth - Bread + Brewery), Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Conan DIPA, Tropicale Thunder v2, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Last edited by dstar26t; 02-13-2009 at 01:48 PM.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #23
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
I moved it to a secondary today and only have 3.75 gals and the biggest mess ever cleaning the carboy Almost 2 gals of trub Not sure I will be doing this one again
I had about an inch of tightly compacted chocolate at the bottom of mine... I fermented with Safale-04 which compacts nicely - not sure what they recommended to pitch. Nothing a rinse and an OxyClean soak couldn't break up.

I also stapled my coffee grinds between two coffee filters before I tossed them in the boil, to try and somewhat contain them. Seemed to work pretty well. Also, I didn't add the Kona grinds straight at bottling, I cold brewed them in a French Press and just poured the coffee in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar26t View Post
Anybody else put this recipe into a brewing program? I'm only getting ~50 IBUs. Also, the real thing is 8.3%...why would they share a recipe that's 7.5%? The all grain version is based on 66% efficiency if you use the grain they suggest. Their website also shows 25 IBUs, not 60.
I put it into Beertools... My FBS adjusted recipe

I upped the base malt to get to 8.3%. I also lowered the bittering hop because I did the same thing you did - checked Founder's site. So I tried to target Founder's real stats.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:19 AM   #24
GIusedtoBe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've got my carboy in a big plastic tub of water so i can't see the bottom but it looks like most of my beers. I'm racking tomorrow so i will post my results. I thought the Kona coffee was for the secondary, not at bottling? I just threw the grounds in thinking that they would settle like yeast. Got my fingers crossed.

BTW the recipe calls for WLP 001 or WY 1056 which I think is the same as S-04 anyway right?

I'll post followup notes tomorrow.

Regards,
Alan

Old 02-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #25
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIusedtoBe View Post
I thought the Kona coffee was for the secondary, not at bottling?
Hmmm.... I am inclined to say there's not a big difference there with something like coffee, that's non-fermentable... Fruit, you would obviously add to 2ndary since it has sugar that will ferment, but coffee is essentially a flavoring. I didn't actually do a 2ndary on this (time crunch), I left in primary for 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIusedtoBe View Post
I just threw the grounds in thinking that they would settle like yeast. Got my fingers crossed.
I wasn't sure what to expect there... Last thing I wanted was a layer of floating coffee mud come bottling time. So I decided to cold brew it. Everything I've read about coffee and brewing leads me to cold brew and add to avoid harshness. And this French Press I got is super sweet for straining out grinds.

So.... I just didn't want to gamble with that part! Hope it worked for you!

Old 02-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #26
tekhna
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post

I wasn't sure what to expect there... Last thing I wanted was a layer of floating coffee mud come bottling time. So I decided to cold brew it. Everything I've read about coffee and brewing leads me to cold brew and add to avoid harshness. And this French Press I got is super sweet for straining out grinds.
Why not just bag the grounds and throw them in? It's essentially the same as cold pressing that way.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:36 AM   #27
GIusedtoBe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK I moved this beer to secondary and I am very excited about this one! THe hydrometer sample was very tasty. Can't wait to try this finished product.

THe coffee was a mess in the secondary but hopefully, most of it will settle to the bottom.

The trub was a bit more than usual but that would be expected of a beer w/ everything but the kitchen sink in it.

My FG was a bit high at 1.022 but the recipe called for 1.020 so hopefully it will drop a bit in secondary but if not, Oh well.

Sitting at about 6.8% ABV right now since I made 5.5 instead of the called for 5 gallons with the same grain bill.

Awesome results so far. Will let you know how it turns out after secondary and bottling.

Regards,
Alan

Old 02-15-2009, 05:46 AM   #28
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
Hmmm.... I am inclined to say there's not a big difference there with something like coffee, that's non-fermentable...
The Kona is like adding spice or hops to a secondary. Neither of these are fermentable, but both add a huge amount of flavor and aroma.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 02-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #29
Ketchepillar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so I want to brew this today but won't have the chocolate or coffee till this weekend. Any foreseeable problem/big difference with doing the chocolate and both coffee additions in the secondary?

Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #30
DubbelDach
Recipes 

OK, so mine turned out really, really well.... How about you guys?

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Quick Reply