Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Founders Oatmeal Chocolate/coffee stout..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 03:22 AM   #21
RC0032
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I moved it to a secondary today and only have 3.75 gals and the biggest mess ever cleaning the carboy Almost 2 gals of trub

Not sure I will be doing this one again

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #22
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

Anybody else put this recipe into a brewing program? I'm only getting ~50 IBUs. Also, the real thing is 8.3%...why would they share a recipe that's 7.5%? The all grain version is based on 66% efficiency if you use the grain they suggest. Their website also shows 25 IBUs, not 60.

Drinking: RIS, Coffee RIS, Jalapeno RIS, Heavy Hopper v2, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy

Old 02-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #23
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
I moved it to a secondary today and only have 3.75 gals and the biggest mess ever cleaning the carboy Almost 2 gals of trub Not sure I will be doing this one again
I had about an inch of tightly compacted chocolate at the bottom of mine... I fermented with Safale-04 which compacts nicely - not sure what they recommended to pitch. Nothing a rinse and an OxyClean soak couldn't break up.

I also stapled my coffee grinds between two coffee filters before I tossed them in the boil, to try and somewhat contain them. Seemed to work pretty well. Also, I didn't add the Kona grinds straight at bottling, I cold brewed them in a French Press and just poured the coffee in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar26t View Post
Anybody else put this recipe into a brewing program? I'm only getting ~50 IBUs. Also, the real thing is 8.3%...why would they share a recipe that's 7.5%? The all grain version is based on 66% efficiency if you use the grain they suggest. Their website also shows 25 IBUs, not 60.
I put it into Beertools... My FBS adjusted recipe

I upped the base malt to get to 8.3%. I also lowered the bittering hop because I did the same thing you did - checked Founder's site. So I tried to target Founder's real stats.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:19 AM   #24
GIusedtoBe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've got my carboy in a big plastic tub of water so i can't see the bottom but it looks like most of my beers. I'm racking tomorrow so i will post my results. I thought the Kona coffee was for the secondary, not at bottling? I just threw the grounds in thinking that they would settle like yeast. Got my fingers crossed.

BTW the recipe calls for WLP 001 or WY 1056 which I think is the same as S-04 anyway right?

I'll post followup notes tomorrow.

Regards,
Alan

Old 02-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #25
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIusedtoBe View Post
I thought the Kona coffee was for the secondary, not at bottling?
Hmmm.... I am inclined to say there's not a big difference there with something like coffee, that's non-fermentable... Fruit, you would obviously add to 2ndary since it has sugar that will ferment, but coffee is essentially a flavoring. I didn't actually do a 2ndary on this (time crunch), I left in primary for 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIusedtoBe View Post
I just threw the grounds in thinking that they would settle like yeast. Got my fingers crossed.
I wasn't sure what to expect there... Last thing I wanted was a layer of floating coffee mud come bottling time. So I decided to cold brew it. Everything I've read about coffee and brewing leads me to cold brew and add to avoid harshness. And this French Press I got is super sweet for straining out grinds.

So.... I just didn't want to gamble with that part! Hope it worked for you!

Old 02-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #26
tekhna
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post

I wasn't sure what to expect there... Last thing I wanted was a layer of floating coffee mud come bottling time. So I decided to cold brew it. Everything I've read about coffee and brewing leads me to cold brew and add to avoid harshness. And this French Press I got is super sweet for straining out grinds.
Why not just bag the grounds and throw them in? It's essentially the same as cold pressing that way.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:36 AM   #27
GIusedtoBe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK I moved this beer to secondary and I am very excited about this one! THe hydrometer sample was very tasty. Can't wait to try this finished product.

THe coffee was a mess in the secondary but hopefully, most of it will settle to the bottom.

The trub was a bit more than usual but that would be expected of a beer w/ everything but the kitchen sink in it.

My FG was a bit high at 1.022 but the recipe called for 1.020 so hopefully it will drop a bit in secondary but if not, Oh well.

Sitting at about 6.8% ABV right now since I made 5.5 instead of the called for 5 gallons with the same grain bill.

Awesome results so far. Will let you know how it turns out after secondary and bottling.

Regards,
Alan

Old 02-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #28
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
Hmmm.... I am inclined to say there's not a big difference there with something like coffee, that's non-fermentable...
The Kona is like adding spice or hops to a secondary. Neither of these are fermentable, but both add a huge amount of flavor and aroma.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 02-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #29
Ketchepillar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so I want to brew this today but won't have the chocolate or coffee till this weekend. Any foreseeable problem/big difference with doing the chocolate and both coffee additions in the secondary?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #30
DubbelDach
Recipes 

OK, so mine turned out really, really well.... How about you guys?

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Quick Reply