Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Founders All Day IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #81
brewski09
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne1
Simcoe and Amarillo are pretty much sold out across the country. Some vendors may have small quantities that they want a fair amount of money for.

You can try LabelPeelers
My LHBS changed to hopunion for their supplier recently and has both in stock in pellet and leaf for $2.49/oz like all their other hops. Problem is you can't really sub these hops out because they are too unique and distinctive.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 04:18 AM   #82
brewski09
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith92 View Post
I'll brew this (extract) recipe next week (start 4-14-12).

Thanks!
Did you get a chance to brew this? I am drinking a glass of mine that I bottled 3/20 and it is tasting pretty darn good. I also picked up a 6er of the real stuff and notice some differences from my original bottle (I think there is some variance in their finished product or with aging more than a couple of weeks). A little stronger on the flavors and diminished on the aromas, which start to fade very, very quickly anyway. I want to brew this again, but everything is full right now! I think it will be a June brew for me

Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #83
msmith92
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not yet. The simcoe was not available.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #84
ColumbusAmongus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski09 View Post
Did you get a chance to brew this? I am drinking a glass of mine that I bottled 3/20 and it is tasting pretty darn good. I also picked up a 6er of the real stuff and notice some differences from my original bottle (I think there is some variance in their finished product or with aging more than a couple of weeks). A little stronger on the flavors and diminished on the aromas, which start to fade very, very quickly anyway. I want to brew this again, but everything is full right now! I think it will be a June brew for me

That is what I found too. I prefer this brew from draft when I can find it. I had a bottle in my fridge that was in there for about a month and it was kind of blah. I think the bottle is missing a lot of the aromas coming from the amarillo (or citra) where they come through quite well when you get it on draft.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #85
brewski09
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusAmongus

That is what I found too. I prefer this brew from draft when I can find it. I had a bottle in my fridge that was in there for about a month and it was kind of blah. I think the bottle is missing a lot of the aromas coming from the amarillo (or citra) where they come through quite well when you get it on draft.
I guess that means I'll be brewing this with a tight turnaround in the future to get the wonderful aromas. Not such a bad think though to have to drink the batch in 2 weeks

Old 04-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #86
brewski09
Recipes 

Old 04-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #87
Uziyahu
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusAmongus View Post
I had a similar problem. A friend brought a 6 pack over, and we drank 4 of them. They had this great aroma and taste. I had another a few days later. Same great aroma and taste. I decided to wait save the last one for a day when I needed a really tasty beer. When I opened it a few weeks later, a lot of the hop aroma and taste that I loved in the first 5 bottles was gone.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #88
brewski09
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uziyahu View Post
I had a similar problem. A friend brought a 6 pack over, and we drank 4 of them. They had this great aroma and taste. I had another a few days later. Same great aroma and taste. I decided to wait save the last one for a day when I needed a really tasty beer. When I opened it a few weeks later, a lot of the hop aroma and taste that I loved in the first 5 bottles was gone.
Here is a quick blog article about hop aroma where they guy talked to Sierra Nevada and Great Divide about it all. They said aromas in professional beers could last up to 3-4 months (even if diminished). I suspect it is less for a more flawed homebrew process (and I have no doubt my process is more flawed than either SN or GD). <http://captainsbeerblog.com/2010/03/23/fading-hops/>

still looking for something i saw a while back talking about volatility of hop compounds...

Old 06-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #89
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just brewed this ag man it was awesome for a session excellent beer

Old 06-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #90
brewski09
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swackattack View Post
Just brewed this ag man it was awesome for a session excellent beer
thanks, we put some work into the recipe formulation. have you had the all day ipa? wondering if this needs more tweaking to be a proper clone. let us know what you think.

Quick Reply