Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Forget whiskey...Gin Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #11
foonder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Firstly, I considered using Gin in a pale ale that would be briefly aged on pine. I was thinking of soaking the pine chips (taken from a fresh piece of pine tree in my back yard) in either vodka or gin. I might do gin since it'll impart it's unique ginny juniperry flavor, but I also might just toast the pine in an oven. Anyway, I'd say go for it with the gin. Maybe even more than 2 oz?

On a side note of using liquor in beer, I just made a brown ale that I added an entire 750mL bottle of Disaronno to. I've yet to taste it. Can't wait though.

Secondly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNQ3X View Post
...Shove that trendy mojito....
I guess you've never had a mojito made with tonic. They're freakin Awesome, and less trendy when you make it more like a rocks drink (G/T's ratio of booze to soda stuff) and less like a frilly girly pansy drink. Also, Tonic > Club soda always.

Beer + Weird Stuff = Awesome

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://www.nexternal.com/hombre/Product1351
that link is for the vodka flavoring for gin, but adding juniper berries directly might add a nice flavor too. I recently made a light summer beer from the second runnings of a brown porter and added chinook and juniper for flavor. It came out really good but the juniper didnt add the expected flavor (I only used about 1oz) I think you may need a lot of juniper to get that piney bite that gin has.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #13
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foonder View Post
On a side note of using liquor in beer, I just made a brown ale that I added an entire 750mL bottle of Disaronno to. I've yet to taste it. Can't wait though.
That sounds really good.

Spruce beer recipes might be a good place to look for inspiration on a base for the gin... note quite the same flavor, but similar. I've heard that spruce beers have to age for a really long time before they get good, don't know if gin would require the same thing.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #14
EamusCatuli

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Firstly, I considered using Gin in a pale ale that would be briefly aged on pine. I was thinking of soaking the pine chips (taken from a fresh piece of pine tree in my back yard) in either vodka or gin. I might do gin since it'll impart it's unique ginny juniperry flavor, but I also might just toast the pine in an oven. Anyway, I'd say go for it with the gin. Maybe even more than 2 oz?

Secondly:

I guess you've never had a mojito made with tonic. They're freakin Awesome, and less trendy when you make it more like a rocks drink (G/T's ratio of booze to soda stuff) and less like a frilly girly pansy drink. Also, Tonic > Club soda always.
The pine idea is genius! however im confused, your going to take regular old pine and soak it in gin, then are you using that soaked gin to put in the beer or are you using the soaked pine and putting it in the secondary or something? Whats the process there????

Old 07-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #15
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
My wife likes mojitos. 'Nuff said.

Seriously, I like 'em with dark rum - at the very least, Appleton's - and with proper attention paid to muddling the mint. What I dislike is the whole "Look at how sophisticated I am; I'm ordering a mow-GEE-tow" trendy bullsh!t.

+1 to tonic. If I can't use it to treat my malaria, it doesn't belong in my G&T, thanks so much.

Chin chin!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 07-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #16
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116 View Post
http://www.nexternal.com/hombre/Product1351
that link is for the vodka flavoring for gin, but adding juniper berries directly might add a nice flavor too. I recently made a light summer beer from the second runnings of a brown porter and added chinook and juniper for flavor. It came out really good but the juniper didnt add the expected flavor (I only used about 1oz) I think you may need a lot of juniper to get that piney bite that gin has.
The research I've done about gin making (after all, I love M*A*S*H) leads me to believe that a LOT of juniper is used to impart the flavor in gin.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #17
Plan9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed a pale ale with just American 2-row, and some left over English pellet hops from the fridge.
It was pretty bland so I soaked 1oz of smashed Juniper berries, and 1/2 oz of corriander in 1/2 cup of vodka, and dumped it into secondary.
It came out very tasty. It had a nice gin/herbal flavor.

Central Florida Home Brewers

http://twitter.com/PlanNine

Quick Reply