Floor-Malted Bohemian Dark Malt---any experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExMachina

Reaction score
I seem to have some of this malt in my possession and was thinking about using it in a pils. Weyermann lists it as being 5L-8L and says it's good for "intensified malt aroma and taste; full body; malt sweetness"

What do you guys thing of adding a bit of this malt into a Bohemian Pils recipe for color and flavor? Was thinking of using 5-10%.

Mash would be either a double decoction (142->156->170F) or Hochkurz.

Any opinions or advice regarding this malt would be greatly appreciated :)

I'd be interested to hear about this malt as well. I wonder if its somewhere in between Vienna and Munich malts?

It definitely is a base malt in between Vienna and Munich. I've been a little timid about trying Munich in a Czech Pils for fear of over doing it. This dark malt is slightly lighter so should be less exacting.

Now I'm considering just just holding off and brewing a full on Czech black lager later.

Maybe PM VladOfTrub, he brews nothing but triple decoction and uses a lot of this malt. He told me Munich was a little too much for his taste buds and liked the dark malt better.

I like a little Munich in my Bo Pils but just enough to get my color around 4SRM. I don't think that much contributes much to the overall flavor.

Back