Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Flaked Rye

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
cclloyd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default Flaked Rye

I made an American Pale Ale with rye (2.5 lbs rye in a 12 pound grain bill) that has been in the bottle going on 3 weeks now. It was the second time making this recipe and I tweaked it somewhat, replacing 1 pound of rye malt with flaked rye. The beer came out really good, with a little more spice note than the first time which is what I was after.
The point of all this is that this beer is cloudy - like hefeweizen cloudy and I'm wondering if anyone else who has used flaked rye has experienced this.
The previous version made without flaked rye was a little hazy but nothing like this one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Downhillfromhere
Recipes 

that is quite a bit of flaked rye to use. It's usually good just to supplement Rye Malt so the mash goes more smoothly. My guess would be a good amount of Protien Haze? Is is cloudy when chilled or just warm?

Old 01-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Cloudy all the time - that's my guess as well is protein city.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
schristian619
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would agree that its protein. i don't know what your mash schedule was, but I would suggest doing a step mash next time. The protein rest will help keep the beer clear. In my experience though, I've never made or seen a crystal clear rye beer before.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Teacher
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've never heard of protein haze at room temperature, but maybe it's possible. At any rate, I make lots of rye beers, many with flaked. A protein rest assuredly can help get rid of haze, but I've also had very clear beers without it. Go figure.

Quick Reply