Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Flaked oats?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #11
ChemE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Yep I've done several oatmeal stouts, just throw the quick oats in the mash (with some rice hulls!). Make sure to get quick oats that don't have any salt added (sodium at 0g on the back).
+1. Quaker Quick Oats here too. I went ahead and passed them through my grain mill to ensure they were as fine as possible. Sam's club sells this box for $6.87 which works out to $0.77/lb after sales tax in IL (1% on food). Good luck finding them cheaper anywhere unless you're taking 55lb sacks! Also, my box states 0mg sodium (just checked) so this one won't screw up your water profile as Conpewter pointed out is a possibility.

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
vdubbed81
Recipes 

quick question... what do you guys do when using flaked oats in regards to water amount used. I'm asking because we started off with about 2.5 gallons (assumig about .5 gallon absorption with the oats) but ultimately ended up with about a gallon to a gallon and a half of wort, the oat absorbing the rest...attempting to wring out the oats proved useless. So do you compensate by using more water, or just assume that the wort is now concentrated and adding the additional 3 gallons will be fine, leaving us with about a 4 - 4.5 gallon wort????

Breakdown:

typical wort: 2.25G boiled to about 2G + adding about 3G = 5Gallons

wort with oats: 2.5G boiled to about 1 - 1.5G + adding 3G only = 4 -4.5G of wort

Old 05-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #13
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3113 Times on 3033 Posts
Likes Given: 161

I mash in and sparge with my normal 1.25 q per pound of grist. Never bothered with water volume adjustments for flaked products. *shrug*

Old 05-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #14
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
I mash in and sparge with my normal 1.25 q per pound of grist. Never bothered with water volume adjustments for flaked products. *shrug*
+1. I assume 0.12 gallons water loss per pound of grain regardless of what kind of grain it is.

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Quick Reply