New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Flaked Corn and Rice problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
DilsmackDude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Flaked Corn and Rice problem

Im new at all this so I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. But the guy at the homebrew store told me to steep flaked corn and rice for 30 minutes at 150 degrees. He said it could add a creamy feel to the beer. I did this once with a 60 minute boil, 6lbs of pale extract, a couple different types of hops and 2 weeks in the fermenter at 70 degrees. Then I did it again with that glueten free soroughm stuff, 60 minute boil, a few different hop additions, fermented at 60 degrees for two weeks. Bottled both of them with 5oz corn sugar, and neither one would carbonate. What am I doing wrong? something to do with the corn and flaked rice I'm assuming, no other beers have given me trouble with carbonating. Please let me know if anyone can spot my mistake. thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
DilsmackDude
Recipes 

oh yeah and If this has already been answered I couldnt find it so forgive me.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
Walzenbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, the flaked corn and rice would not affect carbonation, but there are a lot of other unanswered things that could affect it.

1. What temperature were you bottling at? It should not be colder than 60F and not warmer than mid 70F
2. How did you do bottling? did you rack to a bottling bucket, boil the sugar in 2 cups water and then add?

There has to be something different about this batch, that's not the corn or rice, that would affect it.

Guides, Tips and Experiments for beginning homebrewers at
http://thebeginnersbrew.com

boysbrew2012 Likes This 
Old 04-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
DilsmackDude
Recipes 

yeah I bottled with a bucket and did just what you described. 2 cups boiled water with 5oz sugar, into a bottling bucket with the beer and then into the bottles. all kept at 65-70 degrees. The reason I was leaning toward the corn and rice is because it was basically the only things in common with the two batches I've had that would not carbonate.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
JustLooking
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 29

It won't change the way your beer carbonates, but the shop guy gave you bad advice. Never steep flaked grains. They have to be mashed or they will leave starches in your finished beer and lead to haze and instability.

Your carbonation problem is something else unrelated.
What were your Original and Final gravity readings?

Old 04-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
davarei
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

You did use yeast... right?
same yeast?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
DilsmackDude
Recipes 

Well I have only made a handful of batches and never really taken any gravity readings, is that something I should always do? This time I used california lager yeast, the smack pack kind. The ferment temperature range is high 60s so the homebrew guy said it would be fine. Last time I used dry ale yeast.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #8
DilsmackDude
Recipes 

are there any common mistakes I could have made that would make it hard for the beer to carbonate? I read somewhere that sometimes the yeast will settle and you need to shake the bottles to suspend it in the beer. But I think thats only if you leave it in the fermentor for a long time.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:36 PM   #9
JustLooking
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Your homebrew store really should have sold you a hydrometer instead of the flaked grains and lager yeast. My guess would be dead yeast and future bottle bombs once something wild takes hold.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #10
DilsmackDude
Recipes 

care to elaborate? Why do you think the yeast is dead?

Quick Reply