The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > First try with all grain, made a recipe. thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
supaphly42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Brewing it up today. Seems to be going well so far. Only problem has been my boil, turkey fryer is having a hard time getting the full volume to boil. It's boiling, but barely, haha. Windy and snow on the ground isn't helping matters, I'm sure. May make a foil insulation blankie for the pot for next time. Anyway, my brew assistant was helping watch the transfer. And the cooler I used is great for RDWHAHBing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #12
supaphly42
Recipes 

Ugh, crappy brew day. So, aside from my wort sitting in an ice bath for about 4 hours (basement flooding took precedence over beer making), my OG was way off target. My boil was pretty weak, and I ended up with 6 gallons post-boil. Estimated OG was 1.062, measured was 1.046. So, now what? I dumped it in the fermenter and pitched my yeast. How is this going to affect my beer?

Old 02-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
motorneuron
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaphly42 View Post
Ugh, crappy brew day. So, aside from my wort sitting in an ice bath for about 4 hours (basement flooding took precedence over beer making), my OG was way off target. My boil was pretty weak, and I ended up with 6 gallons post-boil. Estimated OG was 1.062, measured was 1.046. So, now what? I dumped it in the fermenter and pitched my yeast. How is this going to affect my beer?
When I did my first partial mash recipe, I failed to correct my hydrometer readings for temperature. As you know (and as I knew, but failed to remember!), the apparent reading at higher temperatures needs to be boosted, sometimes substantially, and especially for temperatures over about 120F. See here: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/rec...ydrometer.html (edit: as you can see, the corrections can be HUGE when you're talking about boiling or mash temperatures. e.g. a measured 1.040 at 150F is actually 1.059, or an almost 50% difference!!!)

If you did adjust, then you'll just wind up with a somewhat weaker beer. But 1.046 is a perfectly respectable OG for a good beer. No worries!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #14
supaphly42
Recipes 

I took the reading after the beer had been cooled to pitching temp, so I don't think that was it.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Your beer will be fine, just maybe not what you were going for. 1.046 is actually more to style for an Irish Red, but I know you were hoping for something a bit stronger. You'll just have a good session beer you can drink a few of while you rebrew the beer you were going for.

You could also add a little extra complexity by splitting the crystal into 2 half pound additions of different Lovibond crystals. Like 0.5 lbs Crystal 40 and 0.5 lbs Crystal 120 or something like that. Just a thought.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #16
supaphly42
Recipes 

Interesting, I may try that. And good point. It does fall right into the style guide. It was a learning experience, as all first batches are, haha. As long as it's drinkable, life is ok.

Quick Reply