Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > First Trappist Ale - Any Tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
Piratwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by billingsbrew
I have my first Trappist yeast brew ready for the secondary tomarrow morning. My temps started out 82 degrees overnight (pitched @70) took temps down to 74 and slowly, in two weeks, took it up tp 84. Much warmer temps than I've ever tried. It is a saison and I will see how the esters developed. Let us know how what yours was like after bottle conditioning!
*confused*

Is there a Trappist Saison yeast? I was under the impression that pretty much the only thing that defines the loose category we're calling Saison was the yeast. I would think if you're fermenting wlp500 or 530 that hot, you'll end up with a fusel-hot ester bomb.

Then again, I'm no master on the subject and I hope it turns out great!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by billingsbrew View Post
I have my first Trappist yeast brew ready for the secondary tomarrow morning. My temps started out 82 degrees overnight (pitched @70) took temps down to 74 and slowly, in two weeks, took it up tp 84. Much warmer temps than I've ever tried. It is a saison and I will see how the esters developed. Let us know how what yours was like after bottle conditioning!
I think you are confusing "Trappist" with "Belgian." Trappist beers are produced by a small number of very small monasteries in Belgium, the Netherlands, and Germany, and cover a range of styles. The trappists belong to a small offshoot of the Cistercians, and are a cloistered, contemplative monastic group.

Not all Trappist abbeys produce beer- there are only eight recognized ones. Other non-Trappist abbeys produce beer, and we generally just call those beers Abbey ales because Trappist doesn't really apply.

Since we're typically not monks, we don't live in abbeys or follow Trappist guidelines for our lives, nothing we make is "technically" a Trappist beer. We can make some darn good approximations, though, using their yeasts, ingredients, and techniques though. Trappist-style or Abbey ale would be more "accurate."

Saison is a Belgian style, but not one generally produced by the Trappists. It's a summertime beer fermented hot, traditionally given to farmworkers out in the sun. Originally a low-gravity table beer, it would have been the typical sanitary alternative to water, but examples nowadays tend to be stronger.

There you have it: a primer on Trappists, Abbey Ales, and Saison. Enjoy THAT wall of text!

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

billingsbrew Likes This 
Old 12-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #13
billingsbrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default First Trappist Ale - Any Tips?

Thats a mouth full. I only used the the Trappist Wy3787 yeast because the Wyeast 1214 and the WLP565 were not availiable. It turned out to be a good choice. I placed it into a secondary today and will store it for about 4 weeks at 40-45 degrees (Its sometimes good to live in Montana). I tased about 30 oz. that were left over from the secondary and unless the quality goes down a great deal, I'm thinking this will be a fine ale. It has a lot of fruity notes, not much for hops and thats OK thats what I was hoping for after making so many IPA'S (my favorite style of ale!) I was concerned about the fusel oils at such high temps however, the high esters and other complex flavors given by this yeast seems to have limited this affect.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
danbrewtan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bottled 45 Trappist-style ales over the weekend. Excited to try this in 2-3 weeks!

"Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink that they may live." -Socrates

"Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers." -Voltaire

Old 12-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #15
BayAreaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrewtan View Post
At this stage in the game, I really don't have a way to regulate the temperature other than my AC setting. Is there any easy way to do this that I'm not considering? My first thought is a water bath that I can check 2-3 times per day and drop a few ice cubes in there if it's too warm.
+1 on the water bath.

To keep my carboy at more a constant temp (65-68) I bought a big navy blue plastic tub with rope handles at Target for around $7 (I think its main intent is for storage of kids toys, and then bought an aquarium heater (strong enough for 5-10gallons) for around $20. Its worked like a charm so far. Carboy has been at a more steady range than just sitting out in the ambient air. Plus with the aquarium heater, you can easily ramp up the temp so you can finish those Belgians better before bottling/kegging.

Also I'd recommend getting a few of the tubs. The come in handy for letting your equipment soak in PBW after your done brewing.

Cheers

Quick Reply