The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > First Recipe Formulation (come laugh at me!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #11
kjjohns5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Oatmeal Browns are awesome. CCB makes one. Maduro Brown Ale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
The revision sounds tasty to me. Not really a fan of the malto-dextrine part though.
I agree. I'd leave it out, unless the beer really needs a thickener before bottling. I like a full bodied stout, but even so I wouldn't like a "thick" stout if that makes sense.

My son uses a bit of malto-dextine in his root beer. I guess he must have made a mistake and used a bit too much, and he made root beer jell-o. He poured it and it went "glug gloop, glug gloop" out of the bottle. It was really gross! Ever since then, I've been squeamish about using it.

You won't need the MD anyway with that grain bill, but if you really need it for body later it can be added later.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #13
bjl110
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cool. Nix on the MD then. Actually, that is where my inexperience in formulation shows. I originally thought the MD would not only add body, but increase head retention, which is what I was really after. All of my brews seem to be lacking in this capacity so far. Do you think maybe tossing in 4-8 oz of flaked barley or wheat would do this? How much and of which? Maybe the recipe as it stood would be OK? Again, thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Thinking About: Oak Aged Stout, BDSA
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart is a vampire, beer kills braincells. Now let's all go back to that ...building...thingy...where our beds and TV...is. - Homer

Old 08-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #14
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I have nothing against maltodextrin, but it seems to me to be most useful in smaller beers where you aren't sure you'll get enough body from the grist.

I can't see a reason the recipe posted shouldn't have a nice foam cap. Counterintuitively, perhaps, hops add to head retention, so if you really want nice head and lacing...

Old 08-03-2011, 04:43 AM   #15
bjl110
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Actually, it makes perfect sense when you think about what styles generally have a nice head and their IBUs. I had just always attributed it to the grain. I have an uneven amount of Goldings anyway, so I'm going to throw that in there. I'll be making the following:

3#LME
3#2row
2#Munich
12oz 60L
12oz Oats, Flaked and toasted
8oz Chocolate
.5oz Columbus @ 60
.5oz US Goldings @ 20
1oz US Goldings @ 5

Irish Moss

Thinking About: Oak Aged Stout, BDSA
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart is a vampire, beer kills braincells. Now let's all go back to that ...building...thingy...where our beds and TV...is. - Homer

Quick Reply