Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > First original recipe help- American IPA- extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
spalmer2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First original recipe help- American IPA- extract

Hi all- tweaking my first original recipe- Who Farted Ale. Supposed to be sort of a Western IPA thing (original, I know).

The first time I used:

3/4 lb Crystal 60
1/4 lb Carapils
1/2 lb honey to boil
Wyeast 1056
Simcoe 60 min
Centenntial 30 min
Cascade 5 min

Then I pastuerized the remaining 1/2lb of honey and added to the secondary after fermentation was done.

I found that the malty flavor overpowered the hops greatly, which was not in keeping with my idea to make a Centennial-IPA subtle honey funk along with the intense hop bite. I did find that I liked the way the honey added to the boil dried out the beer and made it fuller bodied, I felt like it minimized the syrupy nature of lots of extract batches.

This time, I want to make it more citrusy, bitter, floral, and hoppy. I found the hop character to be all over the place so for simplicity's sake I'm only going to use Cascade this time around. I've never used American 1272 but from the descriptions I've read it sounds like it might work better than 1056.

Keeping all these things in mind, here is my revised recipe... let me know if my changes will do what I hope they will. Also this is only the second non-kit batch I've ever done and I've only done two others before that so go easy and let me know if this is sounds tasty:

1/2 lb Crystal 60
1/3 lb Carapils
6.5 lb Gold LME
1/4 lb honey to boil
American 1272
Cascade 1 oz- 60 min
Cascade 1 oz- 30 min
Cascade 1 oz- 15 min
Cascade 1 oz- 5 min

Dry hop with 1 oz Cascade.

Hope I'm not overdoing the hops this time, I just want a really pronounced hop flavor. I'm talking the hop intensity of something like Furious or Horizon red. I was sort of on the fence between using all Cascade or all Amarillo. What are the pluses/minuses of each?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5117 Times on 3695 Posts
Likes Given: 1069

I don't use much crystal (and sometimes NO crystal) in my IPAs.

If you want to keep in the crystal, you could try using a couple of different kinds to "layer" the flavor for complexity without adding too much sweetness. You really want a low malt character, and it should be "clean". I'd lose the carapils, and use 1/2 crystal 10 or 20L and 1/2 crystal 40L. Maybe 6-8 ounces of each. If you want to not use any crystal, you could use some Munich malt to give you the malt backbone, about 4-5%, with just two-row.

As far as hopping, I'd probably either go with the hopping schedule you posted, or add a bit of centennial for bittering. Centennial seems to provide a nice firm bitterness when used as a bittering hop, and I'm a big fan. If you want some floral notes in the aroma/flavor, you would need some centennial later in the boil, too. I think cascade is great, but I don't get the floral notes from it that I do from centennial.

I don't usually use a 30 minute hop addition in my IPAs any more. It seems like you don't get much flavor from that addition, just bitterness, so I usually add my bittering hops at 60 minutes, and start my flavor hops at 20 minutes. I'd take the 30 minute addition and either FWH or add it to the 60 minute addition if you needed more bitterness.

I like amarillo hops alot- it's got great grapefruity citrusy goodness in it. I'd either go with a centennial/cascade blend if you're looking for some of the floral characteristics you noted, or amarillo/cascade if you want CITRUS. (yes, I capitalized citrus- I think that would be the result, in a good way!)

I'm not one for putting honey in my IPAs, but I have used corn sugar to boost up the ABV without giving additional body so I imagine it is about the same result.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
storunner13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I definitely agree with the loss of carapils. I added a half pound to my IPA (along with a half pound of caramel malts) and it felt like milk as I drank it. Definitely not what I was looking for, so I learned from this mistake.

Quick Reply