New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > First Dopple Bock, Out Door Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #11
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 321

The best way would just be to make a normal sized starter and then use it to ferment a small batch of beer (however many gallons of starter you need for your big lager), and then use ALL of the yeast from that batch to ferment your doppelbock. The advantage to this method is you get extra beer out of it, instead of decanting tons of DME juice down the drain. Just keep your "stepper" beer lowish gravity, 1.040-1.050.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I'm opening up!

twitter.com/twokidsbrewing .. facebook.com/twokidsbrewing .. twokidsbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
jlangfo5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have heard many people recomend that one actually double pitch when you make a high gravity lager, so use twice the size of the starter that mr. malty says that you should use.

If I were to follow this advice, I would need to make 3 gallons of 1.040 beer with my munich extract. What I would do next is take all the ingrediants I have listed, make a 5 gallon batch of beer, but let it boil way on down until it hit a volume of 2 gallons, and add that to the "starter beer" would there be any problem with doing that?

Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 321

I believe Mr. Malty has a "lager" setting that should work for any gravity lager you choose- pitching rates are about double ale rates, or more, depending.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I'm opening up!

twitter.com/twokidsbrewing .. facebook.com/twokidsbrewing .. twokidsbrewing.com

Old 10-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
jlangfo5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It does have a lager setting, I have read from others that they suggest doubling the lager pitching rate that they advocate for large lagers, any thoughts?

Quick Reply