Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > First DIPA recipe. Looking for feedback.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
scottland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play View Post
+1. As aggressive as US-05 is, it won't chomp a 75 GU, 78 BU wort down to appealing IIPA territory without some sugar. For perspective, Pliny is 71/92, and several of those 71 come from dextrose.
Exactly, and Pliny gets down to 1.012 if I remember correctly. Personally, I'd add sugar to every IIPA, but at the minimum, i'd recommend mashing this beer between 148 and 150.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I'm thinking about keeping the hop schedule and maybe dropping the carapils altogether and bringing the honey malt down to .5 lb 2 row down to 12 lbs and adding a pound of honey I have kicking around. With this change do you think I should still change the mashing temp?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
Tinga
Recipes 

any comments on the mash temp with the grain alteration?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #14
KyleWolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

two things,
1) If you add the honey into the boil, while it will help bring down the FG, it won't do nearly as much compared to adding the honey during primary, this will REALLY drive the FG down.

2) If you decide the add the honey during the primary, I just want to warn you that it REALLY brings out a lot of honey taste, I made an American Honey Amber, and added 1lb of orange blossom honey into primary. It might as well be a honey beer.

So, I guess my suggestion is put your mash around 151-152 (this is what I use and always end up around 1.010 FG for my 1.060-1.070 beers), and maybe split the honey half into the boil and half into primary.

Then again, this isn't my beer, so just take my suggestions with a grain of salt. Hopefully they will help you decide what to do.

Currently in the works...

Primary 1:Honey Rye Saison
Primary 2:
Primary 3:
Secondary:
Secondary:

Up next: Rye Amber Ale, Brett Braggot.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Tinga
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleWolf View Post
2) If you decide the add the honey during the primary, I just want to warn you that it REALLY brings out a lot of honey taste, I made an American Honey Amber, and added 1lb of orange blossom honey into primary. It might as well be a honey beer.

So, I guess my suggestion is put your mash around 151-152 (this is what I use and always end up around 1.010 FG for my 1.060-1.070 beers), and maybe split the honey half into the boil and half into primary.

Then again, this isn't my beer, so just take my suggestions with a grain of salt. Hopefully they will help you decide what to do.
Thanks a lot. I'm wondering if the strong honey flavor in primary came from it being orange blossom. I wonder if you used a lighter honey like basswood or wildflower, if it would be more subdued.

I think I will take the suggestions about halving the honey malt and adding the honey during the boil. The mashing temp will be brought down to about 152 as well as the carapils will be dropped altogether.

thanks everyone for the input.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #16
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Your 20min hops would do well as FWH...about the same utilization but better flavor.

edit: same perceived bitterness, but better flavor

Old 07-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #17
Tinga
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierliebhaber View Post
Your 20min hops would do well as FWH...about the same utilization but better flavor.

edit: same perceived bitterness, but better flavor
hmmm that would be interesting to try but for the first time I think I'll keep the hops in the boil.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #18
KyleWolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
Thanks a lot. I'm wondering if the strong honey flavor in primary came from it being orange blossom. I wonder if you used a lighter honey like basswood or wildflower, if it would be more subdued.

I think I will take the suggestions about halving the honey malt and adding the honey during the boil. The mashing temp will be brought down to about 152 as well as the carapils will be dropped altogether.

thanks everyone for the input.
Orange Blossom is the only honey I ever use, so I imagine you could be right, but I wouldn't know, I also use it in both the honey amber and honey rye saison, but the saison I add it strictly to the boil, and I can say, the distinction is very obvious.
Currently in the works...

Primary 1:Honey Rye Saison
Primary 2:
Primary 3:
Secondary:
Secondary:

Up next: Rye Amber Ale, Brett Braggot.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #19
dirty_martini
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Dont mash at 155....152 is as high as you need to go. I would go with 150 personally. To me, drying out the beer is the difference between the beer being a DIPA and being a hoppy barleywine.

I think going all base malt with a splash of honey malt (.25-.5lb max), mashing lower in the 150-152 range, and adding the honey will get you the flavor you want. If you add the honey to the boil, add it at flameout. I would actually add it while the beer is chilling so to hold onto as much of the aromatics as possible. Maybe add it when the beer has gotten down between 150-170. Enough to sterilize it, but the beer will be chilling so you wont lose as much aroma. Think of it as a whirlpool hop addition. Same concept.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:22 AM   #20
Tinga
Recipes 

I'm not exactly adding the honey to get honey flavor. It's just a pound of simple sugar I have kicking around. Honey also doesn't exactly need to be sterilized. It's naturally antibacterial.

Quick Reply