New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > First Cut @ Double IPA Recipe...Critique me!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3869 Times on 2826 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentt03 View Post
Can do on the malts....

You recommend removing spalt altogether?
I love spalter hops! They are "clean" and make a great lager. But I think that sorachi ace is so lemony and FF so citrusy that it will just get lost in there. Why are they in there? If you just want to use them up, then leave them. But if you want to have that fine "noble hop aroma", you won't get that from this recipe.

I'm more of a simple IPA maker- I'd bitter with a neutral bittering hop like magnum, galena, warrior. Then I would use two or three varieties that played well together for flavor, aroma, and dryhopping.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
brentt03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I love spalter hops! They are "clean" and make a great lager. But I think that sorachi ace is so lemony and FF so citrusy that it will just get lost in there. Why are they in there? If you just want to use them up, then leave them. But if you want to have that fine "noble hop aroma", you won't get that from this recipe.

I'm more of a simple IPA maker- I'd bitter with a neutral bittering hop like magnum, galena, warrior. Then I would use two or three varieties that played well together for flavor, aroma, and dryhopping.
I actually havent even purchased them yet, I just wanted to have one of each hop (english, noble, american) and I threw in Sorachi Ace as a "curve ball"; if possible I would like to stay with that mindset and move/sub hops to a point where they mesh well together.

I chose the Falconner's series because they are limited and I was excited to use them in an IPA, so I thought what better than a DIPA.

For the grains I now have:

2-Row - 8lbs
Munich - 4.0lbs
Maris Otter - 2.0lbs
CaraCrystal - 0.5lbs

This puts my SRM @ 12.8 and gives me a pretty nice orange hue

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply