Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > First brew - Dark Weizenbock (extract)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
lemonbrigade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dark Weizenbock (extract)

I'm brand new to brewing, and I want to start with a Weizenbock, my favorite type of beer. I'm looking for a darker colored brew close in flavor to Live Oak Primus (which is superior in flavor and drinkability to Schneider Aventinus imho). I'm trying to bring out the banana and bubblegum esters, with hints of chocolate, raisin, plum, etc. Prefer sweeter (higher temp fermentation), not too hoppy.

Since I'm inexperienced, I figured I'd start with an extract version, and try an all-grain next time. From doing hours of Weizenbock recipe research and crunching ingredients in Beersmith, here's what I came up with that sounds like it should capture what I'm looking for:

6# Wheat Liquid Extract
4# Amber Liquid Extract
8oz Caramunich Malt
4oz Carafa II
4oz Crystal Malt 40L
4oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Special B
WYeast Weihenstephan #3068
1oz Spalt Hops (60m boil)
1oz Santiam Hops (5m boil)

Est OG 1.077 (average)
Est FG 1.018 (average)
12.1 IGU (below average)
26 SRM (above average)
Est ABV 7.9%

I wouldn't mind boosting some of the 4oz malts to add sweetness and fruitiness, although boosting any of them takes it well beyond typical Weizenbock darkness. Does it sound ok from a glance? I'm sure all grain is better/more authentic and I hope to get there soon. For now I just want to brew a good first batch.

Reason: changed title

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
grayvader
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

How did it turn out? Was it like what you wanted? i.e. Primus?

Old 01-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
electrolight
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 379

I'm curious as well. Just tried primus and would do anything to brew something similar.

Quick Reply