Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > First Brew in 8 Months

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
bosox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default First Brew in 8 Months

Been brewing beer since December 2009, but I slacked for much of 2011 and have not made a beer since last Christmas. I'm hoping to get back into things though as I've saved up plenty of bottles and have a gift certificate to my LHBS. Anyways..

I was hoping to make some sort of a blood red orange heffe, but nothing too heavy on the wheat side. Something along the lines of Sam Adam's heffe or a Blue Moon flavor, where the wheat is not overwhelming. Does anyone have any ideas or inputs? I know this sounds like a n00b question, but I haven't brewed in so long I'd be open to any and all suggestions.

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Christmas Ale
Conditioning: Nothing
On Deck: Oktoberfest/Summer Ale
In The Garden: 2nd year Cascades

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Here's one that is supposedly Dogfish Head's recipe: I haven't tried it though... always been tempted to...

Ingredients

Preboil Tea
4 gallons water

Boil
6.6 pounds (3kg) light liquid wheat extract (55% wheat malt and 45% barley malt) (65 minutes)
1/2 ounce (15g) Hallertau hop pellets (60 minutes)
1/2 ounce (15g) Saaz hop pellets (20 minutes)
4 average sized blood oranges (20 minutes in another pot)
1/2 ounce (15g) Hallertau hop pellets (10 minutes)

In carboy
Cool water to the 5-gallon (19L) mark

Fermentation
Yeast: Wyeast 3068 or 3638; or White Labs WLP300 or WLP380

Bottling
5 ounces (125 g) priming sugar

STARTING GRAVITY: 1.050
FINAL GRAVITY: 1.12
FINAL TARGET ABV: 4.8%

PROCESS
1. Heat 4 gallons (15L) of water in the brewpot. As the water begins to boil, remove it from heat. Add the light wheat malt extract. Stir to prevent clumping and scorching o the bottom of the pot. Return the pot to heat.

2. Allow the wort to come up to a boil. After pre-boiling for 5 minutes, add the first Hallertau hop pellets and stir. Start timing the 1-hour boil at the point that you make this hop addition.

3. 20 minutes before the end of the boil, add the Saaz hop pellets.

4. Peel the blood oranges and separate sections of fruit. Discard half of the peels. Cut the remainder of peel and fruit sections into small pieces. Use a grater as you only want the orange part of the rind. The white will add extreme bitterness. They should be small enough to allow easy entry into the carboy in a later step. An alternative is to use a plastic fermentation bucket that would allow easier addition of the fruit. When using a plastic fermenter with a large lid, the size of the fruit is not a concern.
The fruit may be placed in a straining bag for easy removal after fermentation. Heat fruit and peels in 1/2 gallon (2L) of water to 160 degrees F (71C) and then turn off heat. Let it steep as it cools.

5. 10 minutes before the end of the boil, add the second Hallertau hop pellets and stir for 1 minute.

6. At the 60-minute mark, turn off hte heat source, stir the wort clockwise for 2 minutes as you build up a whirlpool effect. Stop stirring and allow the wort to sit for 10 minutes.

7. Chill the wort in a cold water bath to a temperature of 70F-75F (21C - 24C).

8. Transfer the wort into a carboy or a plastic fermenter. Pour blood orange peels and fruit into the wort.

9. Aerate for 1 minute.

10. Pitch the yeast into the carboy and aerate for another minute. Top up the carboy to a 5-gallon (19L) mark with cool water.

11. In about 10 days, your beer should be ready to package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
bosox
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for that recipe, I'll definitely look into it! And might have to sample the dogfishead brew, if I can find it.

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Christmas Ale
Conditioning: Nothing
On Deck: Oktoberfest/Summer Ale
In The Garden: 2nd year Cascades

Old 11-05-2011, 02:50 AM   #4
j1laskey
Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The problem is that blood oranges are not in season yet...Around late December / early January is when you should start seeing them around.

The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Quick Reply