Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > First Belgian (Triple) IPA Recipe Attempt -- Critique Please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
zandrsn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default First Belgian (Triple) IPA Recipe Attempt -- Critique Please

Hi all, please find my first attempt at a Belgian IPA recipe. All style arguments aside what I am looking to make something between a Belgian Pale and Golden Strong with a strong American hop presence. I've really enjoyed the Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus, and that is pretty much what I am aiming for.

Thanks for the feedback!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.01 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.090 SG
Estimated Color: 12.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 65.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type %/IBU
11 lbs 7.9 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 67.1 %
2 lbs 7.2 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 14.3 %
1 lbs 8.5 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.9 %
1 lbs 1.1 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 6.2 %
5.5 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.0 %
4.1 oz Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 1.5 %
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 12.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 19.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 11.9 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining -
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 1.2 IBUs
0.33 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 1.7 IBUs
0.33 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 2.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) Yeast -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 2.3 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 21.11 qt of water at 167.0 F 153.0 F 90 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun, , 1.38gal, 1.38gal) of 168.0 F water

Barrel-aging: Clamberskull's Revenge RIS
Bottled: Winter is Coming RIS,La Mort Rouge Grand Cru Flanders Red, Northern Soul Imperial Brown Ale, Roncevaux 9 Quad, Squeeze my Lemon Summer Ale, North Woods ESA, Porch Days Earl Grey Ale, Sol Invictus Clementine Melomel, Fall's Ephemera Apple Witbier, Graf of Gilead, Solstice Moon Blueberry Melomel
TripleF Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
fivepoundpossum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

i think this recipe looks great! i love the concept, though haven't had the dominus vobiscum. the only thing i'd worry about is that there might be too much going on with the belgian yeast, five types of malt, three different hops, and a lot of alcohol. even if you simplify it a bit, you'll still get a lot of complexity there. also, i know that saaz hops are common in belgian beers, but i think you should go with just american hops for this one.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

Reminds me of this video that I watched yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0sSKHzmhrzY

Old 10-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
zandrsn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepoundpossum
i think this recipe looks great! i love the concept, though haven't had the dominus vobiscum. the only thing i'd worry about is that there might be too much going on with the belgian yeast, five types of malt, three different hops, and a lot of alcohol. even if you simplify it a bit, you'll still get a lot of complexity there. also, i know that saaz hops are common in belgian beers, but i think you should go with just american hops for this one.
Point taken, but let me tell you my thinking and see if you still feel the same way.

First of all, the Lupulus is 10%, uses Belgian ale yeast, and is hopped with Saaz, Amarillo and Simcoe. I'm not trying to clone it exactly, but it is my favorite version of this style so far, so it has figured large in my mind when designing this recipe. Based on my research it seems like where people go wrong with Belgian IPAs is by using too much bittering hops and overriding the subtleties of the Belgian yeast. It seems like worrying less about the bittering and letting the alcohol, malt and yeast flavors work in the lower part of the flavor while using more aroma hops plus dry hoping and belgian yeast esthers for nose and top flavor is the way to go.

I know that Lupulus is 70 ibus, but I've seen many that are around 50, relying on the dry-hop flavor and aroma and the esthers from the yeast to round out the flavor.
Bottled: Winter is Coming RIS,La Mort Rouge Grand Cru Flanders Red, Northern Soul Imperial Brown Ale, Roncevaux 9 Quad, Squeeze my Lemon Summer Ale, North Woods ESA, Porch Days Earl Grey Ale, Sol Invictus Clementine Melomel, Fall's Ephemera Apple Witbier, Graf of Gilead, Solstice Moon Blueberry Melomel

Old 10-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Herky21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I would definitely use Saaz and like to mix hops in the same way. Saaz will impart a great flavor to the beer. I would probably add the 1.00 oz. at 15 minutes or later, however, instead of 20.

My only other concern would be a lack of normal caramel or cara-pils for head retention. I've never heard of caramunich having the same qualities as those two types of grain for making sure that there is enough protein to build the head. That will obviously help with the aromas that you are creating with the hops. I know the wheat malt might help a bit too, but I'd probably add .5-.75 lbs of either caramel 10L-80L, cara-pils, or torrified wheat and subtract from the wheat malt, the munich, the caramunich, or a combination of the 3.

Dried Apricot Cider Ale
Indeed "Burr Grinder" Clone
Breakfast in Beer
Pumpkin Latte
Heady the Elder
Primary:

(1) Therman Merman (IPA)

Secondary:
(1) Drunken Donut aging on Sugar Whiskey Staves, vanilla beans, knob creek, and disarrono.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Which yeast are you using? If you're looking for that sweet, spicy, clove-y belgian thing, I have had great luck with WLP500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
fivepoundpossum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

i see what you're saying. for some reason, i can't picture saaz, simcoe, and amarillo together, but i've never tried a beer with that combination. if it works for the one you're using as a model, i don't see why you shouldn't go for it.

i think your idea of easing up on the bittering hops and focusing more on the flavor and aroma additions makes a lot of sense.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Achouffe Tripel IPA uses 550 yeast along with Saaz, Amarillo and CTZ, which is pretty similar to your recipe, although Achouffe is simpler and less malty. One thing to bear in mind is that 1oz of simcoe will crush 1oz of saaz beneath its bootheel. I would gladly drink your beer.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
zandrsn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herky21 View Post
I would definitely use Saaz and like to mix hops in the same way. Saaz will impart a great flavor to the beer. I would probably add the 1.00 oz. at 15 minutes or later, however, instead of 20.

My only other concern would be a lack of normal caramel or cara-pils for head retention. I've never heard of caramunich having the same qualities as those two types of grain for making sure that there is enough protein to build the head. That will obviously help with the aromas that you are creating with the hops. I know the wheat malt might help a bit too, but I'd probably add .5-.75 lbs of either caramel 10L-80L, cara-pils, or torrified wheat and subtract from the wheat malt, the munich, the caramunich, or a combination of the 3.
Thanks for the advice Herky, I figured that the wheat malt might do the head retention trick, but I'm gonna spend some more time looking at my malt bill and perhaps swith out the caramunich for carapils and the wheat malt for torrified wheat.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
zandrsn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Which yeast are you using? If you're looking for that sweet, spicy, clove-y belgian thing, I have had great luck with WLP500.
I had planned to go with the WLP550 - Belgian Ale. It looks like that one is a bit less fruity than WLP500. Do you have any experience with 550?

Quick Reply