Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > First attempt at my own Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 02:46 AM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4773 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
All of the malt extracts were muntons dark. The dme were purchased in 1lb packages. The lme was bulk. I'm not sure of the brand, I will check next time I go to the lhbs.

I don't have any data on the malt.

Is there anything I should(can) do to balance this out at this point? or do I just let it go and chalk it up as a learning experience?
Well, I'm not sure how long you boiled the hops. It looks like they only were boiled for 15 minutes? that might mean a very sweet beer (since the hops need to boil for about an hour to extract any bitterness). But chocolate malt is very harsh to me, so maybe the bitterness from that will counteract some of the sweetness.

While I applaud making your own recipes, I think maybe following a recipe or two to get the technique down might be helpful. If you make another porter soon, I'd try something like this:

8 pounds pale LME
1 pound Munich LME

12 ounces chocolate malt
1 pound crystal 40L malt
.5 black patent

1.75 ounce Kent Goldings 60 minutes
.75 ounce fuggles 15 minutes
.75 ounce Kent Goldings 0 minutes

(That recipe is from Jamil Zainasheff, not my own, but I like it!)

You want to make sure you boil the hops for the full time, so you get the full bittering from them. At 15 minutes left in the boil, you add the fuggles. At 0 minutes, flame out, you add the second goldings.

Skip the maltodextrine, as that just makes beer "thick", and get a better quality yeast than Munton's. If you like dry yeast, nottingham is a good one for porters.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
Rustysocket
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcollins View Post
Rustysocket, your comment "Oh well, it will be beer." is a great attitude. Yes, maybe chalk this one up to experience but you'll still have beer at the end of it all. Only you will decide whether it is drinkable or not.

I just brewed a porter from my own made-up recipe but cruised the recipe archive here to figure out what the norms were for extracts, grains and hops. Wasn't terribly hard to do and we'll see where I end up. Following that (the same as yours) I'll figure out where to go. it may be a recipe that works or needs some tweaking. That will also be for you to figure out.

Style guidelines are fine, and perhaps important, for a starting point but you may be on to something completely unique and tasty here. Let us know how it turns out.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll post up the results in a couple months.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #13
Rustysocket
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Well, I'm not sure how long you boiled the hops. It looks like they only were boiled for 15 minutes? that might mean a very sweet beer (since the hops need to boil for about an hour to extract any bitterness). But chocolate malt is very harsh to me, so maybe the bitterness from that will counteract some of the sweetness.

While I applaud making your own recipes, I think maybe following a recipe or two to get the technique down might be helpful. If you make another porter soon, I'd try something like this:

8 pounds pale LME
1 pound Munich LME

12 ounces chocolate malt
1 pound crystal 40L malt
.5 black patent

1.75 ounce Kent Goldings 60 minutes
.75 ounce fuggles 15 minutes
.75 ounce Kent Goldings 0 minutes

(That recipe is from Jamil Zainasheff, not my own, but I like it!)

You want to make sure you boil the hops for the full time, so you get the full bittering from them. At 15 minutes left in the boil, you add the fuggles. At 0 minutes, flame out, you add the second goldings.

Skip the maltodextrine, as that just makes beer "thick", and get a better quality yeast than Munton's. If you like dry yeast, nottingham is a good one for porters.
Thanks for the recipe and the advice. My origional recipe came from a kit beer that I had made once and felt was a little weak. I look forward to trying some others as well. I'm not real big on hoppy/bitter beers so maybe this one will be ok. I'm drinking the kit porter right now and it is weak compared to a Dick's Porter or a Deschuttes porter, which is what I was shooting for with this batch.

Again, thanks for the comments and advice.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #14
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

my last porter i used a combination of chinook for bittering and williamette for flavoring and aroma, turned out pretty well, ibus were around 45 which is right about where founders porter is.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 06-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #15
Rustysocket
Recipes 

I have checked gravity a couple of times now. It seems stuck at 1.020

Should I stir it? or just leave it alone?

Tags
porter

Quick Reply