Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > First attempt at my own Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
Rustysocket
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First attempt at my own Porter

Here's something I came up with. Let me know what you guys think.

Heated 1.5 gal of water to 170. 2lbs of Chocolate patent malt was then steeped in a grain sack at 150 for 45minutes. The grain sack was removed and the wort was brought to a boil.

I then added:

1lb Maltodextrin
3lb of Dark DME
3lb of Dark LME

This was boiled for 45minutes.

then added:

1 ounce of Cascade pellets
1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla
1 Tablespoon of Baking Chocolate

and boiled for an additional 15 minutes.

Brought it up to a final volume of 5.75g. Cooled to 75, added a pack of muntons dry yeast , waited 10min and stirred it all in. FG was 1.047.

After about 5 hrs it was bubbling away in my bucket fermenter and it smells nice. Hope it makes a nice Porter/Stout.

Anything obviously wrong? Comments?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
RandomSF
Recipes 

Nothing wrong per se, but boiling 1 oz of Cascade for 15 minutes will give mighty low IBUs, something in the range of <10, where the style calls for 20-40.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sweet mother of Charlie Murphy!
Black Patent or Chocolate malt? Either way, 2lbs is a ton.
Porters aren't supposed to have a forward hop bitterness, but the late addition may not be nearly enough.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
portjeffbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Porters are generally very forgiving when it comes to flavors melding. With that said I would bet yours should taste fine. Your 2# steeping of Cholate malt should work out OK because you didn't crush it. Had you added that amount to an all grain mash it can be considered "heavy" (but outside the box is better than in the box). I would agree that Cascade as a late add might not be enough to balance out the strong line-up of fermentables. I favor classic English hops for my porters such as Fuggles, Kent Goldings, or Willamette. Never hurst to add a snap of honey either.
my 2 cents.....

Old 05-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
Rustysocket
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomSF View Post
Nothing wrong per se, but boiling 1 oz of Cascade for 15 minutes will give mighty low IBUs, something in the range of <10, where the style calls for 20-40.
Should I have used a different type of hops? or boiled longer?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
Rustysocket
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
Sweet mother of Charlie Murphy!
Black Patent or Chocolate malt? Either way, 2lbs is a ton.
Porters aren't supposed to have a forward hop bitterness, but the late addition may not be nearly enough.
I told the kid at the home brew shop what i was thinking of. He suggested 2#. I did crush the grain with a rolling pin lightly before steeping the grains.

It's possible I didn't hear him correctly as I usually wear hearing aids. After looking at other recipes today I see the amount of grain I used was much more than necessary.

Oh well, it will be beer.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #7
Rustysocket
Recipes 

I appreciate everyone's comments.

Porters are my favorite style of beer. I have never had one I didn't like. So this will be my focus for homebrew.

I am lucky to have a store nearby to purchase ingredients at reasonable prices and If I make a mistake or two it won't discourage me from trying my own recipes.

Thanks again for the comments.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

That's eight times as much chocolate as I would normally use. Your IBUs are low, as noted. Not knowing the composition of the dark extracts makes it a tough call. Porters generally have some caramel in them for a sweet backbone.

What was the Lovibond of the chocolate malt?

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #9
Rustysocket
Recipes 

All of the malt extracts were muntons dark. The dme were purchased in 1lb packages. The lme was bulk. I'm not sure of the brand, I will check next time I go to the lhbs.

I don't have any data on the malt.

Is there anything I should(can) do to balance this out at this point? or do I just let it go and chalk it up as a learning experience?

Old 05-24-2010, 01:40 AM   #10
pcollins
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Rustysocket, your comment "Oh well, it will be beer." is a great attitude. Yes, maybe chalk this one up to experience but you'll still have beer at the end of it all. Only you will decide whether it is drinkable or not.

I just brewed a porter from my own made-up recipe but cruised the recipe archive here to figure out what the norms were for extracts, grains and hops. Wasn't terribly hard to do and we'll see where I end up. Following that (the same as yours) I'll figure out where to go. it may be a recipe that works or needs some tweaking. That will also be for you to figure out.

Style guidelines are fine, and perhaps important, for a starting point but you may be on to something completely unique and tasty here. Let us know how it turns out.

Tags
porter

Quick Reply